Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-09-2007, 05:29 AM   #31
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
What you want to select is a link to be able to jump to the next letter. And selecting links was only possible to do with two buttons which was a bit disappointing since I had hoped that a grid selection scheme would work.

I you only want to select one letter a grid will work.

If anybody want to test my four letter selection document it is available at:
http://www.ida.liu.se/~tompe/ebook/search.mobi
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:44 AM   #32
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
What you want to select is a link to be able to jump to the next letter. And selecting links was only possible to do with two buttons which was a bit disappointing since I had hoped that a grid selection scheme would work.

Interesting and a huge file. I guess it would work but I think a different approach might work better. I would suggest taking a real dictionary and looking at the words at the top of a page that show the range of entries on that page. (Or perhaps 2 pages) I think one approach would be to put those words in a graphically arranged list and use them as entry points into a dictionary. Head the list with a table of first letters and in some cases maybe a second table with 2 letters for more popular letters. Use a smart approach instead of a brute force approach.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #33
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post

I've downloaded, but not tried, your file. I'll look at it today. But entering multiple letter searches using a grid would work just fine. Just try jumping to a specified page with the Go To Page grid. You can enter multiple numeric characters - and I see no reason you can't treat alpha characters the same way.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:29 PM   #34
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Interesting and a huge file. I guess it would work but I think a different approach might work better. I would suggest taking a real dictionary and looking at the words at the top of a page that show the range of entries on that page. (Or perhaps 2 pages) I think one approach would be to put those words in a graphically arranged list and use them as entry points into a dictionary. Head the list with a table of first letters and in some cases maybe a second table with 2 letters for more popular letters. Use a smart approach instead of a brute force approach.
Yes, something like that might work OK. I just wanted to test if it was possible to make an HTML document to enter text. And it worked pretty well with FBReader where you can click on the links. The file for four letter is around 10M and the HTML file I used to generate the mobipocket file was 25M or so.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:22 AM   #35
lindemaximilian
lindemaximilian began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Just for the record: there is a multi-dictionary function which works quite well on the Gen3 - provided of course you have loaded several dictionaries. When I do a lookup on the Word "system", for instance, I get 3 entries: one from my German-Italian dictionary, one from my Duden dictionary of foreign words and a nice little article from wikipedea which I have loaded on the SD card.
It's a pity one can't use the wikipedea via a direct word search. (See the above discussion). My wish list thus remains:
1. support of word indexes in order to improve the search of inflected words in language dictionaries;
2. some kind of direct word search for the use of encyclopedias.
lindemaximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:50 AM   #36
mitja_i
Enthusiast
mitja_i began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
This is a great feature, how did you get wikipedia to act as a dictionary?! :
mitja_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #37
lindemaximilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitja_i View Post
This is a great feature, how did you get wikipedia to act as a dictionary?! :
Once it is in prc format it is recognized by the Mobipocket reader and hence the Cybook as a dictionary. I downloaded my version some time ago from www.beam-ebooks.de/ At that time it was for free if you did not take the latest version. I don't know whether this still holds. I wanted to check but their server seems to be down to-night. It's without pictures and in German.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:58 AM   #38
lindemaximilian

Two further points re the lookup function:

If you do a lookup and the mobi dictionary is not activated the machine reboots without telling you what's wrong. This is different from trying to open a non-activated book directly from the library where you are told to enter the PID number.

Having looked up a word in a dictionary and wanting to go back to the main text, you must not use the right-left button because this, of course, turns the pages within the dictionary. One tends to do this instinctively because the right-left button can be used to return from a context menu to the main text. It is preferable, therefore, to getting used to the left hand button, the second from the top, which always gets you back to the main text.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #39
lindemaximilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindemaximilian View Post
Having looked up a word in a dictionary and wanting to go back to the main text, you must not use the right-left button because this, of course, turns the pages within the dictionary. One tends to do this instinctively because the right-left button can be used to return from a context menu to the main text. It is preferable, therefore, to getting used to the left hand button, the second from the top, which always gets you back to the main text.
Please forget this; I was wrong. Going back from the context menu to the main text and going back from a dictionary to the main text require quite different manipulations:
to go back from the context menu to the main text you can either use the left-right command of the main button or the second button from the top on the left hand of the device;
to go back from the dictionary to the main text you can either open the context menu and click on the back command or you can use the third button from the top on the left hand of the device. However, if you had a multiple choice of words before opening the dictionary the first possibility i.e. using the context menu is not possible. You have to push the third button on the left twice in order to get back to the main text.