Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Consumer Reports... doesn't report

Sorry ahead of time if some one already posted this.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...ders/index.htm

Consumer Reports did a terrible job of reviewing ebook readers. Apparently only Apple's Ipad and Amazon's Kindle exist, though those "other" ereaders are mentioned... not really by name though.

I suppose the member area might have more information that I did not see. Especially since the image of a ebook reader is not a Kindle or a Ipad, I believe it is a Jetbook?

I give Consumer Reports a big failing score on their rating of ebook readers.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:05 AM   #2
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Amy,

I know what you mean. However, for your average Joe Bloggs (from 29th May) or John Doe (now), the Kindle or iPad are the only two logical choices. Do you want expensive with lots of extra functions (iPad), or cheaper for really just books (Kindle)? The hoops we at MR have jumped through to organise, convert and port our titles just won't work for the vast majority of the population.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
It appears that the actual evaluations of different readers are in the member area.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
It appears that the actual evaluations of different readers are in the member area.
Exactly right. Although they do not evaluate a lot of different readers, they do evaluate the Sonys, BeBook Neo, Kindle, Aluratek, Nook, and Irex DR800.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
See editing reason.

Last edited by Xanthe; 05-09-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Removed pending permission to post excerpt (sorry about that)
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Thanks, Xanthe - It's interesting that the multi-device syncing seems to be important; I have several readers, but I don't try to read the same books on different readers - it's just not my use case. I just got a Kobo, and I think it's that multi-syncing that makes the desktop app so frustrating to use. Maybe some knowledgeable soul will put together a poll about reading the same book on different devices... clearly Kindle and Kobo think it's important, and it looks like Google would use it, as long as your device is a browser and not a reader or maybe
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
Regarding the Aluratek Libre, they fail to mention that it comes with a 2GB SD card and that books can be loaded onto the card with an external card reader very quickly instead of directly to the reader via USB cable. I wonder what they mean by "responsiveness". I would say that nearly instantaneous page turns constitute good responsiveness compared to e-Ink readers' flash and delay. I wouldn't say that a reader has only "fair versatility" when it reads PDF, TXT, FB2, EPUB , MOBI, PRC and RTF ebook formats and supports Adobe Digital Editions DRM. If they don't like the "uncomfortatable" page turn slider they might try using the other two page turn control options.
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Wonder how they tested readability? Kindles are better than all the others? I can understand with the large dx screen but the K2?

I dropped consumer report a couple years ago. I found them too biased with some brands (kenmore anyone). I have my doubts as to how thoroughly they test everything.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm glad to see the Sony readers rated so highly, I think they tend to be left out of most articles in favor of a focus on Kindle & Nook.

But I'm not sure how they place the Sony touchscreen readers with their diminished contrast at the same level of "readability" as the Bebook Neo and the Nook.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:22 AM   #10
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See editing reason.

Last edited by Xanthe; 05-09-2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Removed pending permission to post.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:32 AM   #11
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

I also don't get the importance of synching. Whenever I finally get the new Astak that's coming out soon, I don't plan to read the same book on both of my readers at the same time. I usually have several books going at the same time anyway.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:32 AM   #12
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
They have a pretty strange concept of "responsiveness" and page turn speed.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Syncing speed

Yeah I have to say syncing speed would be low on my list of things that would matter when I bought a ebook reader. I suppose if one had a extremely slow sync speed, but as of yet none of the ebook readers that I have, have that slow of a sync speed!

Once again people think having a lot of memory is important, while I like having a SD card slot, I think its pretty much a consensus that keeping more than 50 or so books on ones reader becomes frustrating and difficult when it comes to sorting.

They mentioned MP3's players, my Cool-er has a built in MP3 player that I have yet to use. I have a MP3 player for my MP3's (fancy that!).

It seems that people judge the ebook readers on the bells and whistles, when really they should be looking at how well they do their primary job... displaying books to be read.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #14
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Consumers Reports is overrated
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:29 AM   #15
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Once again people think having a lot of memory is important, while I like having a SD card slot, I think its pretty much a consensus that keeping more than 50 or so books on ones reader becomes frustrating and difficult when it comes to sorting.
Nah, not with a collections/folder system. I have 160 books on my 505 and still have half the 256mb memory left... Sorting is no problem as long as you can break things up by genre or by the date you added them to the device.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote