Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
scade2525
scade2525 began at the beginning.

Device: PRC 600 BC
Cool Transferring files in Sony Reader edition?

Good evening,

I am just a little lost.

I have just purchased a Sony PRC - 600. In my reading of reviews it was indicated that the software provided for the reader was not as good as Calibre...consistently froze up. Calibre was recommended... So I have downloaded calibre onto my destktop.

I recenly purchased several books from different sources and they wound up on the Sony reader program 3.1 that I downloaded today onto my computer. Files are EPUB.

I have just charged my reader not turned it on and not tried to load any books onto it. The question is how do I get these files onto Calibre. When I try to "add these books" to Calibre....I cannot get the the folder where these files are stored. In my files, all I seem to find is a short cut which launches the Sony reader..but no where where I can grab the files and put into Calibre?

Next comment: How will I load calibre onto my reader itself? Sounds stupid I know...but just an old country boy? Also will I have both the Sony program and the Calibre program on my reader....will that cause a problem.

Not at all sure where to go from here. Would one of you professionals guide me tell me what to do..

Sam
scade2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Hello Sam and welcome to MobileRead.

First of all, calibre is just an alternative (and much better, and with many more features) software to the sony reader library one. You can use either one, and you can use both, just not at the same time. I have both installed, and even though you're not supposed to, I sometimes have both open at the same time with no consequences.

Calibre is not something you need to load on you reader itself. It's just a program to help you organise your library and transfer your books to the reader.

First you need to find where the sony software saves your actual epub files (I use adobe digital editions to download so I can't help you with that).
Then on Calibre, you click add books, navigate to that folder, select the books and add them. To transfer them to your reader you just select the books and press the send to device button (having connected your reader of course).

That said, you don't need to use calibre for that. As I mentioned above, it is a far superior program, but you might find it simpler using the sony software at least in the beginning, until you are used to things and want to take your library management a little further.

Good luck!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
scade2525

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post

First of all, calibre is just an alternative (and much better, and with many more features) software to the sony reader library one. You can use either one, and you can use both, just not at the same time. I have both installed, and even though you're not supposed to, I sometimes have both open at the same time with no consequences.

Calibre is not something you need to load on you reader itself. It's just a program to help you organise your library and transfer your books to the reader.

First you need to find where the sony software saves your actual epub files (I use adobe digital editions to download so I can't help you with that).
Then on Calibre, you click add books, navigate to that folder, select the books and add them. To transfer them to your reader you just select the books and press the send to device button (having connected your reader of course).

That said, you don't need to use calibre for that. As I mentioned above, it is a far superior program, but you might find it simpler using the sony software at least in the beginning, until you are used to things and want to take your library management a little further.

Good luck!
Thanks for your response...greatly appreciated.

Sam
Old 12-19-2009, 12:17 AM   #4
scade2525

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post

Good luck!
Found where they were located and added to Calibre. However, went to view on computer and popup stated they were DRM protected. I am assuming before I could view or add to my viewer I will have to get around this...any suggestions? Are they any good programs that can be downloaded? Possibly free?

DRM just a way for them to make more money. From what I know...does not do hoot to protect copyright.....

Thanks Sam
Old 12-19-2009, 04:51 AM   #5
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
For the circumvention of epub drm, have a look at this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=inept+epub.

However, you don't need to remove drm to send the ebooks to your reader and read them on it.

I assume you have authorized your reader when you purchased your books? If you didn't, you will probably need to open the sony software or the adobe digital editions software and plug in your reader, they will guide you through the authorization.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
<snip> question already answered...
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Okay so if you go into the Sony Library Application. You should be able to open the books and read them on your computer.

You will need to connect your Reader via usb and authorize it with the Sony Library Application.

You should then be able to drag and drop the books onto the reader and then open/read them on your reader.

If you try to open the books with a generic epub reader like fbReader it should give you the DRM error.

Even though they are DRM protected you can still load/add (leday is right about the default Sony book location in the post above) them to your Calibre Library application but will not be able to read/convert them. But can still copy them to your reader and they should work (since it was authorized via the Sony Lib Application).

Does that make sense?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost in cyberspace...