Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
pcroley
pcroley began at the beginning.

Device: none
kindle in Canada

I want to purchase a Kindle for my husband, but the screen on the one offered for Canada with wireless coverage is too small. Can i download books to the 9.7" kindle via usb cable from my PC?
pcroley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcroley View Post
I want to purchase a Kindle for my husband, but the screen on the one offered for Canada with wireless coverage is too small. Can i download books to the 9.7" kindle via usb cable from my PC?
Welcome to MobileRead.

Thats an excellent question. I would suggest contacting Amazon directly.

If they will sell you the DX in Canada, I see no reason why not.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
Percyiris
Percyiris began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Kindle 3 Wi-Fi,3G
Hi, this is my first post so if I break any protocol, cut me a little slack. My DX arrived this week from a Canadian vendor. I went to Amazon.com, made my purchase (choose Deliver to transfer via computer), within seconds the book appears in your downloads. With your Kindle connected to your computer, click and drag the downloaded book to your Kindle. If you have any problems, call the Kindle help number. The IT was on the phone helping me get on my way in minutes. They are very, very good.
Percyiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
pcroley
pcroley began at the beginning.

Device: none
thank you very much. i did simultaneously contact amazon. they simply stated that the books would have to be downloaded to a computer and transferred. i have decided to go with the six inch global. Amazon also stated a DX is planned for next year. i will upgrade at that time.
pcroley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I ordered the Kindle 2 from Amazon.com on Thu Nov 19 around 3 pm Toronto time ... UPS delivered it at 1 pm Fri Nov 20. I'm astonished.

The packaging is brilliant -- so Apple-like. Everything is branded; instructions are dead simple; you're up and running in seconds.

I wondered about the 6" edition but, hey, it is half the price of the DX and it "fully functions" in Canada (and Mexico where I vacation). After a few hours of use, I can't say the screen real estate is an issue.

Biggest drawback are the "international edition" restrictions -- no web browsing except wikipedia and no additional content in newspapers and magazines (aka photos). Hopefully that will be addressed over time -- especially since every Amazon wireless purchase has a "$1.99 wireless roaming fee" baked in.

Anyway, happy camper here and stunned by the elegant utility of the device.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percyiris View Post
Hi, this is my first post so if I break any protocol, cut me a little slack. My DX arrived this week from a Canadian vendor. I went to Amazon.com, made my purchase (choose Deliver to transfer via computer), within seconds the book appears in your downloads. With your Kindle connected to your computer, click and drag the downloaded book to your Kindle. If you have any problems, call the Kindle help number. The IT was on the phone helping me get on my way in minutes. They are very, very good.
Welcome to MobileRead, percyiris, and sensual poet

Thank you for you very helpful post. Just the kind of member we love!

Hike on over to the "introduce me" thread, start a new thread, and let us welcome you properly.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote