Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Hyphenation

Hi,

I have now a number of books in the language of a small nation. By and large, I can deal with them in Calibre and read them on my Kindle-3.

I just noticed, however, that the viewer in Calibre does not hyphenate the text at all, even though the language is listed in the settings menu of the viewer and I did check hyphenation. I then tried English and German and alas, no hyphenation for them either.

What am I doing wrong? Any help appreciated.

Thanxx, Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
its possible hyphenation is broken, I haven't looked at it in a while. Because of a bug in QtWebKit the hyphens dont get rendered making hyphenation currently useless anyway.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 04:46 AM   #3
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks, Kovid.

Related question: apparently the Kindle does not hyphenate either. For this reason I get a very jaggy right margin, in particular in langauages with long words (e.g. German).

I was thinking: since Calibre can hyphenate (at least in principle), could it put soft-hyphens into the text upon conversion to .mobi (or any other format, for that matter) that would be hopefully honored by the reader used (Kindle in my case)? At least as an option?

That would be another great added value for many readers (even if it might increase the file size).

Thanxx for considering this (if at all doable).

Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I think most of the readers render soft-hyphens as regular hyphens, there is no standard for rendering/hiding soft-hyphens. Calibre could theoretically insert soft hyphens if your reader device supports it - have you actually tested the Kindle's behavior with soft hyphens?
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre uses a javascript library for hyphenation, so it cannot be used directly in the conversion. And as ldolse said, support for soft hyphens is rather spotty in reading systems.

Incidentally the calibre viewer's hyphenation will be fixed in the next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert