Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #31
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well butter my backside and call me a biscuit! That is most excellent news! Thanks Hadrien!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:40 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Well butter my backside and call me a biscuit! That is most excellent news! Thanks Hadrien!
Ok Biscuit, why would we want to support a format where the reader crashes as soon as you try to use it?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #33
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wouldn't want one that crashed every time I tried to use it, but it's not crashing for me, so it clearly can work.

It's more that it seems to actually moving toward a unified standard that I'm excited about, anyway.

I didn't mean the 'biscuit' thing literally, by the way.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #34
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Where would I find that igorsk ?
Just enter "%appdata%\Adobe" in Explorer's address bar. You can also use Start-Run dialog.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I wouldn't want one that crashed every time I tried to use it, but it's not crashing for me, so it clearly can work.

It's more that it seems to actually moving toward a unified standard that I'm excited about, anyway.

I didn't mean the 'biscuit' thing literally, by the way.
Well I hope we can find the solution to the DE crashing on some computers. This is going to be a big deal. And I am sorry for calling you Biscuit. I was wrong. It should have been A Biscuit.
Advert
Old 06-19-2007, 04:01 PM   #36
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have used the beta of DE without a problem and look forward to the future support in the Sony Reader.

As for tools to create the epub files, I expect that once the format is published (I have not checked so it may have already been made public) that a number of 3rd party PDF tool creators will add it to their offerings.

I see this opening new doors for the Sony Reader. Perhaps this is what the additional 30 MB of space is for in the Reader that we found that was beyond the original specs.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #37
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I have used the beta of DE without a problem and look forward to the future support in the Sony Reader.

As for tools to create the epub files, I expect that once the format is published (I have not checked so it may have already been made public) that a number of 3rd party PDF tool creators will add it to their offerings.

I see this opening new doors for the Sony Reader. Perhaps this is what the additional 30 MB of space is for in the Reader that we found that was beyond the original specs.
http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops/OPS_2.0_0.984_draft.html
http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf/OPF_2.0_0.984_draft.html
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:14 PM   #38
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I had installed some beta version. Then went to look at one of Adobe's free books and it told me I needed to upgrade. So I did and it crashed. It is going to crash on the Sony?
It doesn't crash on the Mac so that gives us a 50% chance that it will not crash on the Sony
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:19 PM   #39
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
In the FAQs for DE Sony said that a Linux version would be in beta later this year but was not ready yet.

Thanks Hadrien for the references.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:54 PM   #40
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And I am sorry for calling you Biscuit. I was wrong. It should have been A Biscuit.
Much better, apology accepted.

So, shall we start a pool for when the DE supporting Reader Firmware will come out?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:57 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Winter 2008 is my guess.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:23 AM   #42
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I think it might be in the "news" Sony Reader.
Read the press release in the first post closely and you'll find that there are a lot of wordings that make it sound as though Sony has more than one Reading Device out there...and I don't think they'd count the Librie in...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:26 AM   #43
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.

Device: O2
Does anyone know where I can download the new PDF reader for my Sony Reader?
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:34 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebook lover View Post
Does anyone know where I can download the new PDF reader for my Sony Reader?
Adobe Digital Editions is just going into beta testing for Linux. So we'll just have to wait and see once it's out of beta how long after that it will take for Sony/Adobe to make a version for the Reader.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:13 AM   #45
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sigh...another ebook format.
Not quite it supports xhtml, so it's pretty standard. It's zipped into .epub otherwise pretty standard. I will be happy if Sony Reader will finally support html even if indirectly.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote