Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
This thread seems to explain why I haven't been seeing the slow page turns that many are reporting. I use Sigil to reformat most of the sideloaded epubs I download. Part of my standard setup is splitting on chapter boundaries. Looking at the last set I modified (Thorne Smith from gutenberg.au, the chapter size shown by 7Zip vary from 11KB to 32KB uncompressed. Compressed size is about 35-40% of uncompressed size.

If I get the file in a non-epub format, I use Calibre to convert to epub and then clean up the file with Sigil. Takes a bit longer but makes my reading experience much better. Just one item with Sigil -- Save! Often!! The search and replace code tends to crash and dump all your work since the last save.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-23-2012 at 12:25 AM. Reason: fat fingers can't type...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #17
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMax View Post
Sorry I don't get the point...
what's the practical meaning of "some really poor spots to split on"

The only drawback I've seen is that the epub are about between 10% and 20% bigger (this is because the compression algorithm used by epub is less efficient on many small file)
At the end of an internal file there will be page break. And at 25K files there will be many unnecessary breaks.
My recommandation is NOT to change all your books because of a glitch in the firmware of the reader.
If you can't stand it, use another firmware. That's why I did not use 1.9.17 although I could have fixed the top margin by reconverting all my books.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
MisterMax
Enthusiast
MisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the rough

Device: 2 Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
epub is NOT a compression. An epub is just a ZIP file renamed, that's all, nothing more. What makes an epub is what's inside the zip file making up the book.
Yes, I know that ePub is only a zip.
The fact is that if the Zip algorithm compress the single file 1 by 1, so if you have only one big html file, this single file is "more compressible" that the respective part splitted in 25Kb chunk.
Due to that, a "normal" epub generated by calibre will have 260Kb html chunk, and the same epub "optimized" will have about 10 time more smaller html chunk of 25Kb each, and this optimized epub will be bigger, because the zipping algorithm is less efficient.

I also tried variation of zipping algorithm by manually decompressing and recompressing the epub using 7Zip.
I've tried various compression setting (store/compress fastest/ fast/ normal /max / ultra - change word size from 8 to 128 bytes): the size of the compressed epub clearly change, but the page turn speed remain the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
As for splitting up the files. Yes you can get some pretty poor spots to split on. Since you are splitting the files inside by size rather than by chapters and the Kobo pagebreaks after every file, you will get pages of text that simply end with a lot of white space at the end but then have the text continue on on the next page. So you could end up with 2 sentences on one page and the rest of the text on the other.
Now I understand, you are right, this happen.
An "optimized" ePub will have more page break.
The biggest book I have turned out to be about 80 "more" page in the "optimized" version (500 vs 580). This is my "worst case" scenario.
For me this is a non-issue, I really doesn't care about page break... but for other people it can be different :-)

Thanks for pointing this out.
MisterMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #19
MisterMax
Enthusiast
MisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the roughMisterMax is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Also remember that if you make a change like this, you may regret it when the version with the fix for this is released.
Sure, I always keep the original version of my ebook (tipically PDF or RTF).
Once the firmware get fixed I may regenerate my epub :-)
Old 07-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
MisterMax
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
This thread seems to explain why I haven't been seeing the slow page turns that many are reporting. I use Sigil to reformat most of the sideloaded epubs I download. Part of my standard setup is splitting on chapter boundaries. Looking at the last set I modified (Thorne Smith from gutenberg.au, the chapter size shown by 7Zip vary from 11KB to 32KB uncompressed. Compressed size is about 35-40% of uncompressed size.

If I get the file in a non-epub format, I use Calibre to convert to epub and then clean up the file with Sigil. Takes a bit longer but makes my reading experience much better. Just one item with Sigil -- Save! Often!! The search and replace code tends to crash and dump all your work since the last save.
I definitely need to try Sigil, it may com handy to create the index on an anthology that I'm reading...
Old 07-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #21
MisterMax
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
At the end of an internal file there will be page break. And at 25K files there will be many unnecessary breaks.
My recommandation is NOT to change all your books because of a glitch in the firmware of the reader.
If you can't stand it, use another firmware. That's why I did not use 1.9.17 although I could have fixed the top margin by reconverting all my books.
Thanks for you explanation
Old 07-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #22
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Deleted

Last edited by The Terminator; 09-30-2013 at 01:54 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #23
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hmm, I've never noticed any difference in page turn speed with 2.0. I'm either lucky or clueless (or both.)
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #24
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latch View Post
Hmm, I've never noticed any difference in page turn speed with 2.0. I'm either lucky or clueless (or both.)
Are you reading sideloaded books, or just kepubs bought from Kobo?
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #25
dsandrei
dsandrei doesn't litterdsandrei doesn't litterdsandrei doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMax View Post
Yes, this help, but this is not the whole story.
It doesent matter how small the single html file are in an epub, in my experience event an optimized epub will always be slower than an kepub.

The kepub contain specific css, and specific javascript code, and the html have a different structure from the epub generated by calibre.
Maybe that the kepub contain some kind of structural information that help the Kobo to render the page faster...
I didn't try any regular epub since upgrading to 2.0. I used the method (a little lengthy and potentially dangerous) describe here to force the device to treat epubs as kepubs. From what I've experienced so far I don't have "slow" page turns, I have font tuning and annotations. I also didn't see any javascript or css specific to kepubs(actually there are some in the kepub archives but I didn't include those and I didn't see any difference so I'm just assuming they don't matter. Maybe if you use another device like a phone?), only some additional spans.
About splitting the ebook: I usually split files/chapter. This way it's easy to have a link between the TOC and the actual files and it also gives an accurate page count.
Anyway, what I'd really like to see is either epubs supported as kepubs or, lacking that, an epub to kepub conversion tool.
dsandrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:25 AM   #26
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Plus, it's a very bad idea to do an ePub > ePub conversion as has been mentioned many times on MR.

Interesting! Point me to those some of those discussions, if you will.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:54 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
Interesting! Point me to those some of those discussions, if you will.
One place to search for such is in the ePub forum section.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #28
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I was perusing this this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186641

and noticed a comment about modifying css:

adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;

Just curious if anyone has tried this and does it make a difference?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #29
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've just finished reading a sideloaded Baen epub (possibly converted by me from mobi, I forget) with no problems at all.

On the other hand, another file created by me from a Word document was pretty terrible, and seemed to get worse the further into the book you got. It did this before 2.0, but might now be worse. It's hard to say. This one was a single monolithic file. I have no idea how the Baen book was organised. Maybe I'll take a look this evening.

(Incidentally, the second book also had problems paging backwards from the start of a chapter, which again was happening with the old firmware, too. The chapter breaks were added by me using an old version of Sigil - my netbook at home doesn't like the recent MacOS versions, but then it's not a real Mac.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ePub from Word can be nasty things. The only way to be sure they aren't nasty things is to go into the code and spend some time cleaning Words originating ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
touch