Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #16
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I just went to sonystyle.com to check. The 650 does look red to me. The 350 is pink.

Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:08 AM   #17
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sircastor View Post
...{snip}...My reader also doesn't read properly in the Sony Reader App. I hand loaded a book on it. But haven't updated to the newest reader Library software, so I figured that was it. I guess I'll need to call Sony. Not sure if I'm going to switch colors.
My replacement PRS-650 arrived yesterday (black instead of the red one I sent back as defective). Imagine my surprise when the same issues (Reader app freezing when attempting to "authorize" the reader, 650's name in the sidebar as "Error") appeared. This time I decided the issue must certainly be something on my iMac so I connected the 650 to my MacBook and the 650 now showed the correct name. The freezing problem was (I believe after conferring with Sony via telephone) due to my Adobe login ID not matching what the Sony Store showed for my Adobe login ID (yeah, that's confusing). I changed my Adobe ID in the Sony record and, after about 10 minutes, the Store seemed to have updated my record properly so the "reauthorization" of the reader could take place. (BTW, why the Reader was already authorized is beyond me because I never authorized it to begin with; I wonder if Sony sent me someone else's return that wasn't actually bad - like my red one that is currently winging its way back to the Sony mothership).

In any case, the Reader Library software is...how charitable shall I be?...not iTunes. It's clunky, has a confusing interface, and seems almost...numb is the word that comes to mind.

Thankfully, I can ignore it until I'm ready to purchase something through the Sony Store as everything looks like it can just be dropped into the mounted "Reader" volume that appears when I plug in the unit.

Now it's time to make a folio case for it; I have an industrial sewing machine in my garage and some leather. I'll post some photos when I finish it.
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:15 AM   #18
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelec View Post
I think it's a lighter red than the prs600; it is more magenta, isn't it?
I'd say it's a red magenta. It's not nearly as deep of a red as the 505. The sangria red 505 is GORGEOUS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I think the 650 red has less blue than the 505.

Color blindness also plays a factor. I sympathize; I have a weakness in the green receptors.
I'd say the 650 has more blue leaning towards the purple family, but still in the red zone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-12-31_02-00-17_163.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	763.9 KB
ID:	63812   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-12-31_02-00-28_908.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	554.4 KB
ID:	63813   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-12-31_01-59-32_814.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	784.8 KB
ID:	63814  

Last edited by SolRaven; 12-31-2010 at 02:19 AM.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #19
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Magenta?!

According to the powers that be at Pantone, THIS is Magenta:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pantone_magenta.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	63953  
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:36 AM   #20
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ooops... double posted

Last edited by SolRaven; 01-02-2011 at 02:57 AM. Reason: double posted
Old 01-02-2011, 02:41 AM   #21
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Magenta?!

According to the powers that be at Pantone, THIS is Magenta:

That looks plum. Magenta has more red. Either way the 650 leans towards a reddish magenta than a true magenta. Unfortunately, magenta has never been one of my favorite colors, but I suppose it's more interesting than getting another black reader.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:44 AM   #22
DarkRoast
Enthusiast
DarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader 650
I wondered whether the red reader made it less easy on your eyes to read. I didn't want to get the red reader thinking that maybe my eyes would be continually drawn to the red frame rather than the page. Has anyone found that?
DarkRoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:55 AM   #23
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRoast View Post
I wondered whether the red reader made it less easy on your eyes to read. I didn't want to get the red reader thinking that maybe my eyes would be continually drawn to the red frame rather than the page. Has anyone found that?
DarkRoast, that's what I thought too when I bought my first reader which was a 505. I thought the red was gorgeous and the silver too reflective, so bought the dark, dark blue. When it broke, I replaced it w/ the sangria red 505. I have found that it doesn't distract from my reading at all, but instead energizes my reading. I feel like I have more comprehension at a faster, more enjoyable pace. It could just be that the color sitting around my target reading area is uplifting.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:50 AM   #24
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
That looks exactly like the pink 350, which I think we all agree looks more magenta than the red 650.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:15 AM   #25
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
That looks exactly like the pink 350, which I think we all agree looks more magenta than the red 650.
Yes. From what I can recall, it just might be a true magenta. The 650 just leans in that direction. If Sony hadn't made such a gorgeous sangria red 505 I wouldn't have such longing for their original red reader color.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:24 AM   #26
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

I personally found the 505 red a bit too brown-ish for my taste.

I suppose there are always skins from Decal Girl...
Old 01-02-2011, 04:57 AM   #27
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I've got the red 650. As others have commented, how "red" it looks depends upon the lighting. But I do feel it's more red than pink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRoast View Post
I don't find the red distracting at all while reading.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote