Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Question Fonts

I know I mentioned this somewhere but only slightly but I am curious about the fonts...... I redid a few books into .rft format and ended up doing it a couple of times to find the correct font size for me...... 18 with Arial and Courier new seem to work good enough size wise in the reader, but my question is this.

Is there a place where it is listed what fonts will show up in the reader? I know Courier will because I have a few and it's definetly not arial...... anybody know what else works, or care to share what they have that does, maybe we could get a listing going, or does Sony have this listed somewhere.

Thanks..... I am not trying to make life difficult, honest <G> But I am a font person and sometimes Arial is just too boring. I know Georgia is a nice one when you are reading books...... I could play around but I don't want to start doing too much of that on this thing, something might happen that is not good, LMAO, suspcious me.......
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The same fonts as on the device:
C:\Program Files\Sony\CONNECT Reader\Data\fonts
If you want anything else, use PDF with embedded fonts.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Here's how RTF font families are mapped to the device fonts:
<family name="roman" uses="Dutch801 Rm BT"/>
<family name="swiss" uses="Swis721 BT"/>
<family name="modern" uses="Courier10 BT"/>
<family name="script" uses="Dutch801 Rm BT"/>
<family name="decor" uses="Dutch801 Rm BT"/>
<family name="tech" uses="Courier10 BT"/>
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:58 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Or for those who do not study fonts --

All of the the fonts are from Bitstream thus the BT at the end of the name. Dutch is their name for for a Times (Times New Roamn) Serif font and Swiss is their name for an Ariel (or Helvetica) San Serif font. Both are varispacing fonts where the "W" is wider than the 'i'. Courier is a copy of the typewriter serif font and is monospaced where every character has the same width.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It's funny how people are so divided about what font they like. I like the Times New Roman (by that I mean "Dutch801 Rm BT", which it is mapped to, of course).

And a lot of people prefer sans serif which moves one back to Arial equivalent.

But I don't think I've heard of anyone that wants to use Courier for the main book reading font! Seems most appropriate for literal strings in a computing tech book!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2006, 02:08 PM   #6
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
The same fonts as on the device:
C:\Program Files\Sony\CONNECT Reader\Data\fonts
If you want anything else, use PDF with embedded fonts.
I never saw this before....... thank you.
Mine shows three of them.

Hey Bob, I didn't say I liked Courier, just that I see I can use it <G> ALTHOUGH, I did'n't think it looked bad for reading.... maybe it's my eyes and the glasses

So what would happen if I copied and pasted a few fonts in that font folder, anybody know?

And Igorsk I don't understand what you mean about the PDF thing but I will say this, PDF is just tooooooooo small for me that I won't bother with any pdf file at all.....

Thanks all for the responses..... if nobody knows about adding a font in the font folder I may be bold enough to just try and see what happens <G> I am sure it will not BREAK it <giggle> although that would be my luck............
Old 12-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #7
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Just did an experiment with the fonts, copied a very distinct font to that folder typo upright bt.......... It didn't do anything so I answered my own question as far as that goes.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:39 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
igorsk had a long thread that discussed adding fonts, but it's definitely a heavily 'techie' approach. I'm hoping for an executable that would take care of those gritty details for me.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #9
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Sadlly I don't see all the discussions on this board plus other places that I do reside...

Oh I did save the file in that typo font thing too, I didn't just add the font to sony's font folder...

I am techie to some extent but this font thing sounds too *techie* to me....... but I would be willing to look for it... Or if someone is kind to share the link if this discussion is close by..
Old 12-12-2006, 04:13 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
here's the starting point:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8051
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:04 PM   #11
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Oh thanks........ yep that is too Techie for me......... )(*^%*&(()*(*&)(*)(* argggggggggg.... LOL....... guess I will stick with what is here.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:20 PM   #12
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings

And Igorsk I don't understand what you mean about the PDF thing but I will say this, PDF is just tooooooooo small for me that I won't bother with any pdf file at all.....
If you create a PDF that is formated on a page that fits the Sony Reader and adjust the font to your preference you can achieve a very readable document in any font you choose. How does this article, from The Economist look to you on your Reader?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ethical food.pdf (34.5 KB, 342 views)
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #13
ojleblanc
Enthusiast
ojleblanc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Sony Reader
SoCal Bob, I know you didn't direct your question to me, but I read the document anyway. First, the font looks great (though a little large); which is it?

Second, the article is an interesting read. How did you generate it? Did you print it from the Economist website, then edit the font in Adobe Acrobat?
ojleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:20 AM   #14
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bob
If you create a PDF that is formated on a page that fits the Sony Reader and adjust the font to your preference you can achieve a very readable document in any font you choose. How does this article, from The Economist look to you on your Reader?
It looks good Bob...... I guess I have see how to use adobe since I am really not a fan of that program. I guess what I need now is a set of good instructions on how to reformat an already existing .pdf article..... I just loaded something up and I don't see where you would do this unless you need the paid version of adobe and of which in that case I don't have.

Sorry if I am being a PITA. ;(
Old 12-13-2006, 08:37 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
I just loaded something up and I don't see where you would do this unless you need the paid version of adobe and of which in that case I don't have.
I'm afraid that you can indeed only create PDF files using the commercial "Adobe Acrobat" program, not the free Acrobat Reader.

There are a number of free or low-cost PDF creation tools around, but I don't know whether or not these have the ability to embed fonts. Anyone else know?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote