Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 02-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
Better late than never?

Just went home and picked up my eb1150 that FedEx dropped off. Time to plug this puppy in and play with it a bit; it's work related, really. Now it's time to start saving up for an e-ink device; I should have the cash saved up before I have a first-born to offer up as sacrifice. The Hanlin eReader V2t or V9t look interesting.

There's nothing quite like staying a generation behind technology; it's cheaper.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2stars
I should have the cash saved up before I have a first-born to offer up as sacrifice.
I've found that throwing my loose change in a jug is an effective way to save up for purchases that my wife considers frivolous. (sometimes I just don't understand how the woman thinks!)

It can be a bit slow, but it has the advantage of keeping the cost off her radar. If it's too slow, you can always hit the change machine on the way out of the office ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
sea2stars
Zealot

*grin* I guess I should start using cash more often than just handing over my ATM card! I've also found that the bottle return place helps. Plus they never ask why I drink beers with such odd names; Franziskaner, Boddingtons, etc . Then again, if I cut down on my beer intake it'd help out more than a few things; wallet and waistline for starters.

The first thing I've noticed about the device is the screen glare. Eh.. I'll have to play with it tonight after I get back from hanging out with my rock climbing pals.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Staying behind the cutting edge is less expensive and often offers more options than would otherwise be available. With the many conversion tools available at the MobileRead Wiki Conversion Page the whole world of classic books is available for no charge (thus cutting down on the expense of using your current device while you save for the next.)

I tried the change in a box/cup/basket/jar thing and found that my wife always got there to unload it about a week before I planned to. (Maybe I talk about it in my sleep.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:12 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Staying behind the cutting edge is less expensive and often offers more options than would otherwise be available.
Yeah, but for good or ill, in the case of e-readers, the only 'options" that mattered to me were screen readability, battery life, and being able to read a non-locked format (i.e. RTF), so it was jump on the first round of e-ink, or keep waiting 'til the prices on e-ink dropped ... and I'd already been waiting for those features for several years, so ....

I keep my change jug (a 30" tall plastic coke bottle) in the back of the closet where it doesn't 'self-remind' of its existence (or contents). It helps that my wife isn't inclined to care about it anyway (I recently pulled about $4 -- and about 2lbs -- in pennies (I left her the 'silver' coins) out of her wallet (hey, she makes me hold her purse sometimes, and that thing's heavy enough as it is!), so she's not likely to mess with my cache (pardon the pun).

It further helps that she's the tight one in the family, and I'm the spender. We've managed to meet somewhere in the middle on the matter: she'll spend money when she needs to, and sometimes when she wants to, and I don't buy all the Battlestar Galactica toys off of e-Bay.
Advert
Old 02-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
To many people a critical issue is the number of ebooks available. In that area there are far more in copyright books available for sale in Palm related formats than there are in Sony formats. It is a simple function of time as they have been at it longer than Sony has been at it. If this was a critical decision point for me I would never have bought the Sony Reader. Since it is at best a minor consideration, the lack of an extensive back library available for sale did not matter.

When it was first released the Sony community had only a few tools for creating Sony compliant books. Today, after only a few months, there are many tools for conversion and the list grows each week and the existing tools get better all the time.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:34 AM   #7
sea2stars
Zealot

Ever try sticking to the more traditional change storage device? A sofa?

Heh. Every time my wife empties her purse I wonder how the fabric of space/time is shaped inside of it.

The dearth of nonDRM ebooks doesn't really bother me; with what's available on Gutenberg, Baen, and whatever else have you. It would be nice if more authors/publishers would not only release their current works as ebooks, but also previous works. I just bought Stephen Donaldson's current book in his Thomas Covenant series, easily one of my favorites series, and noticed that the previous six aren't available? Time to either scan in my old tattered copies or track down an e-version online?

Yeah. I was just playing around with Book Designer and I have a feeling I'm going to be using it quite often.

For right now I'm going to try and avoid going near any eink devices; nothing worse than unit envy.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

The only problem with the sofa is that it's hard to pick it up to dump the change out of it.