Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #16
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
cp will do just fine
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:07 AM   #17
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I sure am glad I haven't the foggiest idea what you all were talking about!!
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 04:21 AM   #18
nrg
nrg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-600
I ordered the cable, hopefully we will have rom images this weekend
nrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #19
ivor
ivor began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
looks like the cramfs image file in the firmware file has a 48 byte header, followed by the encrypted image...
ivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #20
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivor View Post
looks like the cramfs image file in the firmware file has a 48 byte header, followed by the encrypted image...
I believe it's a 32-byte header.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #21
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
The header for both images is 32 bytes.

The cramfs file has 16 bytes padding, the raw image has 4 bytes padding, both to align at 16 bytes (so encryption block length is 128 bit).
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:26 AM   #22
ivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
I believe it's a 32-byte header.
oops. yes, quite right. sorry! (did the sums then miscounted the lines in hex editor) and as the other poster mentioned, the 16 byte padding means it does look like some form of "proper" 128 bit encryption rather than the trivial xor of the librie firmware. hmm.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #23
ivor

PRS300 mainboard.

FYI picture of internal board for PRS300 attached. haven't tried to connect to the IO pins yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010214.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	801.5 KB
ID:	36013  
Old 09-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #24
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Well, 300 is not that interesting because autorun works on it just fine...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #25
ivor

oh ok, no worries. thought it might be of interest.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #26
RyeBrye
RyeBrye began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who are you? View Post
The header for both images is 32 bytes.

The cramfs file has 16 bytes padding, the raw image has 4 bytes padding, both to align at 16 bytes (so encryption block length is 128 bit).
I hope the serial console is still enabled... but... why would they bother to encrypt their updates if they keep the serial console wide open?

Any news from the guy who was going to gut his open and poke at it?
RyeBrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #27
nrg

The guy received usb serial cable, tested it and will try to connect to the reader this evening or tomorrow and read the content so stay tuned
Old 09-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #28
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, what's the news?
Old 09-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #29
nrg

Hi guys update from the battlefield, I was trying to get anything on pads Igorsk showed me but I was unsuccessful I was trying few more pads but result was the same, I checked the cable before doing anything so I am positive it works properly. To be honest pads are so small that I was really scared to not short circuit anything (to position the needle I was using magnifying glass), pads 6 and 7 are probably damaged right now because of needle pressure and countless attempts I made to get to the console. I'm sorry but I wont be able to help with anything further, I'm just too scared that I will destroy my device.

This is how my attempt looked like
Old 09-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #30
igorsk
Wizard

Not good news :/. I hope I'll have more luck when my device arrives...