Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
dave33
dave33 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
my clippings won't sync

Ok, here's the deal. I had my annotations not set to backup (didn't realize this). Made tons of highlights then realized that my book had "reached it's quota of highlights." I then realized that these clippings can still be viewed online. So, I went to check out the amazon kindle beta site and found none of my clippings. I then realized that the kindle was not set to backup so I enabled this feature. Still no highlights in the amazon kindle site. I read in one post that I might ought to highlight one passage in the book and then it would reset. Did that, and only have that highlight. Does anyone know how to get all my clippings from my device to the website? I live in Asia so I thought that might be the issue. I changed my country of location in the manage your kindle settings. Still no highlights (other than the ones on the device). Please help with this sync issue!
dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Was the book your have clippings for purchased from Amazon? This feature will not work with content from sources other than Amazon.

BTW, you can use the Mobi2Mobi GUI (for Windows) to turn off the flag for clippings so you won't run into a limit (for any Mobi book not just Amazon's).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Was the book your have clippings for purchased from Amazon? This feature will not work with content from sources other than Amazon.

BTW, you can use the Mobi2Mobi GUI (for Windows) to turn off the flag for clippings so you won't run into a limit (for any Mobi book not just Amazon's).
thanks daffy! that's good to know! i'm highlighting like crazy and i may very well need this.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You can sort of workaround the highlighting limit if you copy text to a note instead:

select start of 'highlight'
move to end of desired 'highlight' (but don't select)
press space bar

The text will be pasted into a note, which you can then edit (add bracketing quotes, etc.) and save. Instead of a highlight 'underline' you'll just have a note indicator.

There's a limit on the number of characters that you can copy in this way (128 or so?), but depending on what you are doing, it might be enough.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
doesn't it work to just cut your highlights from "my clippings", paste them somewhere else and by this removing the highlights from the kindle? doesn't this open up new highlighting options?
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
dave33
dave33 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Yes. The book was an amazon purchased book. In fact, after I enabled syncing I was able to sync a new highlight in that same book. The other highlights were not synced though. Any suggestions? I'll check out Mobi2Mobi GUI. Thanks.
dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Very interesting. I have an idea but it might be a pain to do. Can you visit each of the old highlights you made and extend that highlight by one more word then move back to the original highlight. I'm thinking that fussing with each one just a bit will cause them to be recognized for syncing now that you have that feature turned on. In fact, try it with just one of your old highlights to see if it works (force the sync).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
doesn't it work to just cut your highlights from "my clippings", paste them somewhere else and by this removing the highlights from the kindle? doesn't this open up new highlighting options?
My Clippings is a log file, it's not where the highlights are stored and tracked (that's done in a .mbp or .tan 'sidecar' file).

But after creating a set of highlights, you can delete them, and create a new set (probably, unless the maxhighlights count never decreases). My clippings will capture all of the highlights you made over the course of things. But of course this means the actual book will only show the current set, which kind of defeats the purpose.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote