Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Fast PDF

there is yet another PDF viewer out there, Fast PDF. it's on sale for $0.99 right now. I played with it a little bit, still prefer Good Reader, but some people might like it. has a bookshelf view stolen out of iBooks, built in server for transferring files wirelessly, can download from the web, and claims to have the fastest pdf rendering engine. don't know who is doing benchmarks. there have been some complaints of crashing but I haven't had any problems yet.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
They have informed me that next update which has already been submitted to apple has zoom lock/remember feature on all pages.

Another good pdf reader is ibunko hd.
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Pros are that it really is fast, much faster than Goodreader, and it accepts Open In from other apps. Cons seem to be that it doesn't have a way of single-tapping to change page, you have to swipe, and the text rendering isn't anti-aliased, so small text it a lot less attractive than in Goodreader.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Cons seem to be that it doesn't have a way of single-tapping to change page, you have to swipe...
Left/right or up/down swipe? That's prety well my only complaint about Goodreader: it uses the computer-like up/down PDF flow which just feels odd to me now that I'm so used to iBooks, Zinio, Kobo, etc., all using the page-turning book metaphor... not a huge deal but it would be a plus for me when considering PDF readers.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

you can swipe left/right to turn pages in Fast PDF. they slide though, not a page-turn animation, which is ok for me, the animation is usually slower.
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCdWkV4H6Eo

Did you see this youtube vid? They put it up against other PDF readers on the iPad and it does quite well. I don't know who made the vid, it might be the company but its worth checking out if you're interested in the App
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books

well based on that video they win hands down. music was annoying though, sheesh. thanks for sharing that!
Old 05-31-2010, 11:30 PM   #8
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Yea I've ordered an iPad (won't be coming in until mid-June, :/ ) so I've been looking at a bunch of the different PDF viewers on youtube to see which one's are the best since a lot of my docs I read are PDFs now. I have a DR1000S but I'd like to have something that I can swing through documents faster with for the times that I'm using a book for reference and want to jump around in it a bit. I usually just hit mute on all of the iPad app reviews on Youtube because its either someone stuttering through the review filled with "umms" and "uhhs" or some awful music playing, but they are helpful for understanding how the apps work.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:27 AM   #9
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
ReaddleDocs has a fast render, faster than Goodreader perhaps not as fast bringing up a page like FastPDF seems to. I've been using ReaddleDocs in landscape mode with the page fit to width and then scroll up/down and it's perfect for me to read my pdf's.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I gave Fast PDF a try. Very fast! Using portrait mode, the pages were clear and very readable and did I mention, fast paging?

Two complaints:

Needs horizontal locking to make scrolling through a page easier and stop the sideways jittering.

It couldn't read some of my pdf's (old computer magazine archive) but other iPad pdf readers I've tried could read about 75% of them. They are just poorly created - PC based readers have no problems but there is something with Apple's pdf render api that doesn't like them.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote