Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-04-2016, 04:01 AM   #1
darkdragon1142
darkdragon1142 began at the beginning.

Device: amazon, kindle, physical
need some help finding similar books to read

so i am looking for more books to read, i have alot of books but looking for something similar in both the way the story is told, and content to some of these books,(series):

-dragonriders of pern(ive read almost all of this series by both anne/todd mccaffrey)
-eon/eona duoligy
-debris, suited, guardian by joanne anderton(love this book for steampunk styles and alot of suspense.)
-starcraft series(nova, flashpoint, kerrigan, devils due and so on)
-dragonpit chronicles by jane yolen(heartsblood, dragonsblood, a sending of dragons and i forget the 4th)

these are hands down my favorite sets of books. things that ive had either a hard time putting down or just litterally sucked me into the storyline. part of this is due in part to the background (specifically starcraft books) into my interests. i love video games with amazing storylines hence why i play RPG's alot.

im primarily looking for something physical as something i can bring to work and my job doesnt allow me to have electronics present due to security. so im looking for books i can order online especially since i live in japan i have both a local address and a FPO AP so i can get either. i should note that when it comes to dragons im kind of picky. im less inclined towards magic and more towards science. if youve ever read dragonriders of pern you should understand. i like explinations as to how things work and why. when its just "magic" i find that unsatisfying. eon/eona is a bit of a rare exception because there were many limits and lots of background information on it.

if anyone has any reccomendations id love to hear them. please and thank you.
darkdragon1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
You might take a look at the trilogy: The Elvenbane, Elvenborn, and Elvenblood by Mercedes Lackey and Andre Norton. There is magic, but since you've found one exception that you like, maybe this will be another.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2016, 04:22 AM   #3
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
A couple great series with dragons without magic:

Naomi Novik: Temeraire. Napeolonic wars with dragons. Dragons are intelligent (similar to human beings), and (at least in Europe) they are usually drafted into the army. Each dragon is bonded to one human. Lots of adventure and action, but also has some serious things to say about war and about human/dragon rights.

Marie Brennan: The natural history of dragons. Another world, culturally somewhat similar to our world in the 1800s. Dragons are animals. Lady Trent writes her memoirs from her beginning as a young girl more fascinated with dragons than with embroidery, and how she got to where she is now, one of the most famous and respected dragon researchers (but also notorious, because of her scandalous, unladylike life). This one also has a lot of action and adventure, but is slower than the Temeraire books, spending more time on the characters. It also has serious things to say, about gender roles, social classes, and in later books racism and colonialism. Lady Trent's voice is very distinct -- I love it, but it might be worthwhile to take a look at a sample chapter if you can find it, to see if you like it.

I haven't read the books you mention, so I don't know how similar these are. Both have great world building.

Last edited by hildea; 02-06-2016 at 04:25 AM.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dragon, reccomendation, sci-fi, starcraft, steampunk