Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-27-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
f00l
aka bad typist
f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis, iphones, android, old kindles, fire phoned
Kindle price drop at Amazon, $359.00 free shipping

Amazon has cut the price of its Kindle reader to $359 from $399. Must have happened at midnight PDT. Was $40 more just a few hours ago. I guess the 6 month "new" factor has worn off. :>

Amazon honored some sort of low-price agreement, so recent purchasers might be due for a refund.

And: Happy shopping, everyone who's been holding out.
f00l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:46 AM   #2
Rasczak
Rasczak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Usually I'm a day late and dollar short. This time I'm early and out $40.
Rasczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2008, 04:13 AM   #3
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
If only there was Sprint wireless service out were I live. That, combined with this price cut, could be enough temptation for me to make the switch from Sony.

Last edited by Dylrob; 05-27-2008 at 04:16 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
f00l
aka bad typist
f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I you bought your Kindle recently from Amazon, I think Amazon honors low-price matching for 30 days or something similar. Why not contact them and ask them to match their current price?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
Spellbot 5000
Connoisseur
Spellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hmm, I wonder if sales have dropped off now that the book-nerds have burned through their initial stock and now few are buying.

Just speculation, but really, when do companies really make such large price cuts on relatively new items unless the sales are slowing?
Spellbot 5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #6
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Maybe Kindle II is coming out soon. Hopefully it is a bit less fugly!
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:43 AM   #7
f00l
aka bad typist

I doubt they're ready to launch a new device so soon. I would expect to see a new version either late November, or else mid-2009. The product cycle on e-book readers doesn't seem to be crazy-competitive like that for cell phones, pda's, laptops, and mp3 players. Fewer people read. :< Used books are still cheap. :>

I would imagine it's just `the new wore off' and Amazon discounts everything in the end.

Or the people who really wanted them already got one, and now they aim for more of the mass-market. I suspect this price drop will generate news stories and a whole new sales push to those who wouldn't budge at $400. (Remember the Iphone? :>)

Last edited by f00l; 05-27-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I recently poked around the FCC site to see if there was anything new from Amazon. It seems they filed for approval of some small hardware changes but no signs of Kindle 2 so far.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #9
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS, former Kindle owner
Dang. Just my luck, of course. My Kindle shipped on 4/17, so I'm out of their 30-day price protection window. I must admit I'm not "in love" with my Kindle, and it might go to eBay eventually since the convenience isn't making up for its original cost (and with the iPhone App store around the corner, I'm hearing rumors that there will be a book reader app for the iPhone and I've got my fingers crossed that OTA downloads will be a part of that)...
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I received mine on 4/23 but I put in a request for a partial refund or gift card equal to $50 anyway. You never know unless you try.

I wonder if someone knew this was coming because this thread was bumped yesterday in the Amazon forums.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazons-Price-...sin=B000FI73MA

Quote:
Initial post: Nov 25, 2007 12:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2007 12:52 PM PST
D. Kang says:
If a product that amazon sells directly drops in price within 30 days, they will refund you the difference if you email them. However Amazon has a well known reputation for issuing price matches well beyond the 30 days. On several occassions i recieved partial refunds well after 3 months. And one occasion after 6 months.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:52 AM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
This is most likely a product life cycle price reduction. The early adopters paid the highest price and now the price starts to drop. We saw the same type of pricing with electronic calculators and Polaroid cameras in they hay days.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:57 AM   #12
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellbot 5000 View Post
Hmm, I wonder if sales have dropped off now that the book-nerds have burned through their initial stock and now few are buying.

Just speculation, but really, when do companies really make such large price cuts on relatively new items unless the sales are slowing?
Apple iPhone ring any bells - sales of it were not slowing and they lowered the price $200 . $40 seems small in comparison. I think it's a simple case of 6+ months passing and the Kindle is not "new" anymore.

Having had mine since 11/20, I don't begrudge Amazon the $40, and I hope this moves the price to more mass-market levels.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 AM   #13
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Glad to see it! But I agree that this is just what happens with products, the prices go down. The product has been very successful which may also account for the price drop (more being made, price goes down.)

There is already an ebook reader on the iphone... It works okay, but it's just not something I want to read on. Also, I can't imagine much in the way of book selection unless the book reader comes from Apple itself and they get behind it.

Or if we all get lucky and Amazon starts selling ebooks for other devices... (Fat chance!)
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:04 AM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post

Or if we all get lucky and Amazon starts selling ebooks for other devices... (Fat chance!)
It would be cool if they did. Maybe charge extra ($1?) for the conversion which would have to go through Amazon. The more books sold, the better for Amazon.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I recently poked around the FCC site to see if there was anything new from Amazon. It seems they filed for approval of some small hardware changes but no signs of Kindle 2 so far.
There was not really a great deal of warning before the Cybook appeared with some hardware changes...
Mind you, price hasn't changed...
So much for competition pricing...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote