Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #2026
m4te
m4te doesn't litterm4te doesn't litterm4te doesn't litter

Device: PW3
Hello gentlemen, I have a problem installing this very nice hack, and hope you can assist me somehow. I just yesterday got a new PW3 (3G+WiFi, no ads), with FW 5.6.5. I instantly jailbroke it, using the 'easy method', by copying a jb script file to my kindle, and visiting a website. After that, I have applied the Hotfix by selecting 'Update software' from Settings, and after restart installed (or more like copied over) the KUAL, KUAL Helper, MRPI and some other goodies.

Now the problem is that I can only get extensions to fully work, and packages which are installed by MRPI do not seem to install at all. The only thing which actually installed through MRPI is the basic rescue package - not even the enhanced (is it Coward?) one.

MRPI does not even say anything else than just 'destroying package' right away. Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry if this has already been asked, I just could not find an answer. Thank you very much!
m4te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #2027
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@m4te: Check your exact PW3 model in the wiki.

Then try using the snapshot packages instead.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2016, 02:04 PM   #2028
m4te

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@m4te: Check your exact PW3 model in the wiki.
Thank you NiLuJe!

I indeed have the G090G5 version. Going to try the snapshot version as soon as the Kindle fully charges for the first time

By the way: Device ID under KUAL Helper shows Device: Unknown Kindle PaperWhite 3 (0G5). Platform is wario, Board is muscat rev.2, and Type is Production?

I will provide more feedback after I try the snapshot version. Thank you for now!
Old 05-25-2016, 02:32 PM   #2029
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4te View Post
Thank you NiLuJe!

I indeed have the G090G5 version. Going to try the snapshot version as soon as the Kindle fully charges for the first time

By the way: Device ID under KUAL Helper shows Device: Unknown Kindle PaperWhite 3 (0G5). Platform is wario, Board is muscat rev.2, and Type is Production?

I will provide more feedback after I try the snapshot version. Thank you for now!
Only because you did not install from the snapshot link.

The table and the (snapshot) build of packages are kept in-sync.

There are about a 1/2 dozen devices missing from the table (and the snapshot packages) because no one has reported on them (yet).

But your 90G5 will behave just the same as NiLuJe's 90G1 (which I used all of the snapshot packages on a few day's ago).

If you haven't been following recent events - I am holding NiLuJe's PW-3 hostage.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #2030
m4te

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Only because you did not install from the snapshot link.
Thank you very much, indeed the snapshot versions were exactly what my PW3 needed - now works like a charm

Thank you for the amazing work on the Kindles!
Advert
Old 06-10-2016, 01:40 AM   #2031
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Odd thing: PW2, fw 5.7.4, long time jailbreaked, SS 0.24 latest build, cover mode set.
I have a book I have been reading for some time, SS working fine and related cover showing perfectly when I put kindle to sleep.

No modification to kindle fw or hacks done recently (last one more than a week ago), the only thing that changed is that yesterday evening I sideloaded a few books on the kindle (and I have never even opened any of these, they all show as "new" on the kindle interface).
After this load, SS continued to work, yesterday I read my book and still the cover was showing.

This morning I read some more of the book, put the kindle to sleep and... cover is gone! It shows... nothing, that is when kindle goes in standby the last screen it was showing stays displayed, whether it was a page of my book or the main kindle interface.

Moreover, if I launch KUAL and choose to preview the kindle screensaver, the cover of the book I am reading is properly shown. What can it have happened???

Edit: I tried "Restart framework": no change. Changed to image cycle and restarted: usual niluje's image (correct as I have no other images for screensaver). Changed back to cover mode and restarted: problem solved - and I didn't have to open the book to let SS reprocess the image...

Last edited by Ruskie_it; 06-10-2016 at 03:32 AM.
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #2032
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Huh. Looks like the framework got confused somehow? Which shouldn't happen in cover mode, but, hey, weirder things have happened...
Old 06-12-2016, 11:43 PM   #2033
zes
zes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Works great, very cool.

Anyway to leverage the text overlay feature in cover mode to display the percent progress in the book? My wife's kobo does that, kinda like that feature.
zes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:17 AM   #2034
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zes View Post
Works great, very cool.

Anyway to leverage the text overlay feature in cover mode to display the percent progress in the book? My wife's kobo does that, kinda like that feature.
tap lower left corner of the screen while viewing a book.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:39 AM   #2035
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@zes: No (for various different reasons).
Old 06-17-2016, 01:03 AM   #2036
zes
zes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@zes: No (for various different reasons).
No worries, I figured it out, working well enough. Thanks for all your contributions on this forum, really helped.
zes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:55 PM   #2037
miomaz
miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.

Device: kindle 4.1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
tap lower left corner of the screen while viewing a book.
I didn't know this. When I used to want to see my reading process I opened up the menu and selected it from the other options... not any longer.

Anyways, I was trying to install the python package on my PW3, but when I moved the file into the root dir and navigated to the 'update kindle' button, the button was grayed out, unclickable. When I then hooked it up to my pc, the .bin file was gone. I did this twice more with the same results.

In the end I used the MR Package Installer and that worked fine- but it still got me wondering if this is a known quirk or something I'm doing wrong..
miomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #2038
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by miomaz View Post
I
- - - -
In the end I used the MR Package Installer and that worked fine- but it still got me wondering if this is a known quirk or something I'm doing wrong..
Up until you used MrPI, you where doing something wrong.
I.E: You where not using MrPI.

You **MUST** use MrPI to install our update_*.bin format packages.
UYK will simply not work (for anything other than the 'hotfix' package - you must use UYK to install the 'hotfix' package, since you can't run Kual/MrPI until AFTER you run the 'hotfix').
Old 06-28-2016, 09:39 PM   #2039
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes it is a known quirk.

The fact that the Update Your Kindle method no longer works, is the reason MrPI was created in the first place.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:08 AM   #2040
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Yes it is a known quirk.

The fact that the Update Your Kindle method no longer works, is the reason MrPI was created in the first place.
Uh. As far as I recall MrPI was created in the first place because it was an easier way to install multiple packages. It was only some time later that it became the mandatory way to do it because UYK stopped working...
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch