Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Kobo IOS App Constantly Hitting Network

Okay, I've searched and can't find an answer to this, but maybe someone here can help me. I've turned off Pulse. But whenever I read in the Kobo app, the little clock animation (upper left corner on top bar) that indicated network activity is almost constantly going round and round... I find the movement on the screen distracting when I'm reading, but it also makes me wonder - what in the world is the Kobo app doing hitting the network all the time? Reading life shouldn't be a constant update - once per page would be sufficient for time spent reading and pages read, but no... all the time.

This is sufficiently disturbing to my reading that I actually loathe using the Kobo app.

Anyone?
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
when i have seen this its usually a memory related issue, iOS is quite poor at times for memory management and generates loads of out of memory errors

double click the home button, all loaded apps will appear at the bottom
press and hold on one of the apps till they wiggle (bottom of screen)
press the minus symbol on them

these are apps that are suspended and ready to load up straight away if you need them again, doing the above closes the app down
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Is it trying to sync some info? ads maybe?
Try disabling network first (airplane mode) and see if the icon goes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
when i have seen this its usually a memory related issue, iOS is quite poor at times for memory management and generates loads of out of memory errors

The rotating icon is only an indicator for network activity. It has nothing to do with memory errors....
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Killing all other applications worked! Not sure why, and no other app does this, but it is at least a workaround.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:28 AM   #5
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
Killing all other applications worked! Not sure why, and no other app does this, but it is at least a workaround.
I get this with a few other apps, not many though

hopefully better memory management will appear in an update
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
In that case it was one of the other apps that was causing the network activity.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote