Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-06-2007, 10:59 PM   #1
mastermx
mastermx began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
The process of buying.

Hello guys, i live in the UK and am having a hardtime finding the sony reader (since its only released in US). This seems like the machine for me after alot of consideration for other platforms on the market.

Any recomendations on how i can go about importing it?

I wouldnt mind the price range of $255-$299. price is really important to me as im not the richest guy in the world.

thank you.
mastermx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
You should seriously wait until september when they Cybook GEN3
will be available. It will be slightly more expensive (350€/$) BUT
more evolved AND you will have a FULL WARRANTY which is not
the case with a sony reader if you don't live in the US!

Moreover if you buy a reader you will have to pay expensive
shipping charges and probably importing rights!

So in the end the Cybook GEN3 will probably be cheaper for you!

Juste wait 1 more month!
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:27 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermx View Post
Hello guys, i live in the UK and am having a hardtime finding the sony reader (since its only released in US). This seems like the machine for me after alot of consideration for other platforms on the market.

Any recomendations on how i can go about importing it?

I wouldnt mind the price range of $255-$299. price is really important to me as im not the richest guy in the world.

thank you.
There's a company called, I think, "BHPhoto" (or something similar) who will ship the reader internationally; many people outside the US have bought from them. (Anyone know the correct name???).

Do bear in mind that on top of the price of the Reader you'll have to pay shipping costs (probably around £20-30) and then, when it arrives in the UK, you'll pay import duty (7%), VAT (17.5%), and perhaps a charge to the Courier for doing all the tax stuff for you. You'll probably end up paying around £50 for all that.

ie the total cost will be around £80 more than a straight conversion of the US price of the Reader would suggest.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:44 AM   #4
KaiGoth
Enthusiast
KaiGoth began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500 & PRS700
Keep asking. Your best bet is to find someone here who already has a reader, but has not taken advantage of the $50 offer from Sony. Pay that person $150 plus shipping and VAT, and you are likely lower than your stated price range, and some lucky board member gets $100.
KaiGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
mastermx

So is the Cybook GEN3 better than the sony reader. I cant seem to find any videos about it that5 are in english. Which ways is it better than the PRS500
the sony reader has a nicer design. I did find one difference though. the Gen3 is 600x800 pixels whilst the sony reader is 800x600. if thats the case i think i prefer the reader. unless there is pure proof why gen3 is better.

If it costs so much to import il just have to find a way to import it from ebay.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:25 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermx View Post
So is the Cybook GEN3 better than the sony reader. I cant seem to find any videos about it that5 are in english. Which ways is it better than the PRS500
the sony reader has a nicer design. I did find one difference though. the Gen3 is 600x800 pixels whilst the sony reader is 800x600. if thats the case i think i prefer the reader. unless there is pure proof why gen3 is better.
The hardware of the two machine is extremely similar. Both have 800x600 pixel screens. The only real difference is that the CyBook will have a later-generation eInk screen which is slightly more "contrasty" (40% rather than 35% reflectivity) and faster to refresh. My suspicion is that this won't make any real difference in practice, but we'll see.

Software-wise, the CyBook will support MobiPocket format books compared with Sony's custom BBeB format. This could be significant if you want to buy commercial eBooks. I don't, so it's of no relevance to me.

Quote:
If it costs so much to import il just have to find a way to import it from ebay.
You'll still have to pay import duty + VAT no matter who you buy it from - it's the law. I bought my Reader from eBay.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
mastermx

so can someone please tell me the best place i can buy one of these for. It would be great if i can get it for $299-320 inc shipping.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The CyBook isn't out yet, so you can't buy one of those.

The only company anyone appears to have discovered which will ship the Sony Reader internationally is:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

They charge $298 for the Reader, plus a cheapest shipping method of $46, so that's a total of $344, or about £170.

Do bear in mind, however that, as I said before, when it arrives in the UK you're going to have to pay 7% import duty, plus 17.5% VAT, which is about another £44, plus possibly a £10-£20 "processing fee" depending which delivery service it ends up with when it reaches the UK.

ie you're looking at a total cost of about £230-240, or approximately US$470.

Sorry, but that's the way it goes.

You may be able to find one a little cheaper on eBay, but obviously that carries its own risks.

Good luck - there are many of us on this forum who have bought Readers from the US and are very happy with them.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #9
guguy
Groupie

Quote:
My suspicion is that this won't make any real difference in practice, but we'll see.
Haven't you seen the gen3 video? It's in french but you can see that
the refresh time is really much better compared to the reader!
Old 08-08-2007, 03:08 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post
Haven't you seen the gen3 video? It's in french but you can see that
the refresh time is really much better compared to the reader!
Oh yes, I know it is - it's about twice as fast. My point is that I really don't notice the time it takes the Sony Reader to "turn the page", so speeding it up isn't going to make any practical difference to me.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #11
guguy
Groupie

Right but one of the main improvement of the gen3 over the reader is
mobipocket support. And anyway the cybook is gonna be less expensive
for european, so if it does everything the reader do for a cheaper price
and also provides new features...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:39 PM   #12
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Harry, you made the statement:

This could be significant if you want to buy commercial eBooks.”

Forgive my ignorance but could you please explain “commercial ebooks”?
I’m new to the ebook world and haven’t learned the jargon yet.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post
Right but one of the main improvement of the gen3 over the reader is
mobipocket support. And anyway the cybook is gonna be less expensive
for european, so if it does everything the reader do for a cheaper price
and also provides new features...
The Gen3 won't be coming out with PDF support. And we don't know if they are planning on Digital Editions support either.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketime View Post
Harry, you made the statement:

This could be significant if you want to buy commercial eBooks.”

Forgive my ignorance but could you please explain “commercial ebooks”?
I’m new to the ebook world and haven’t learned the jargon yet.
Commercial ebooks are ebooks that you purchse from an online ebook store such as Connect or ebooks.com or fictionwise.com or simonsays.com and others.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Who said? 'Cause I talk with the developers and I'd think they would tell NAEB if PDF is a no-go.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Gen3 won't be coming out with PDF support. And we don't know if they are planning on Digital Editions support either.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote