Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Books101
Books101 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire HD
Unhappy Kindle Help!

I'm looking into purchasing a Kindle Fire HD but there are a few questions that I have first regarding calibre and Kindle Fire.

I have an extensive calibre library from previous e-readers and by searching on the internet figured out how I will be able to get all of my books to appear in the books section of the Kindle Fire... but that leads me to a couple of other questions...

1. I have a macbook pro and the latest version of calibre... Will calibre be able to pick up my kindle via USB? If not, how else can I transfer my 1,000 or so books...?

2. Will the news feeds I am subscribed to via calibre automatically show up in the newsfeed section of the Kindle Fire? (And how will I get them there?)

3. If I have some PDF copies of magazines and would like to get them to show up under the newsfeed section on the new Kindle Fire how would I get them to do that?

Sorry for such a long post, but I'm trying to make a decision and will not purchase a kindle fire unless I can get all of my calibre stuff onto it fairly quickly and easily. Thanks!!!

Last edited by Books101; 11-28-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Books101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Not with OS X. The HD wil only connect to calibre on WIndows Vista and nevwer and linux. see http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....kindle-fire-hd
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Books101

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Not with OS X. The HD wil only connect to calibre on WIndows Vista and nevwer and linux. see http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....kindle-fire-hd
Thank you for the quick reply! That's disappointing news though. Is there any way to work around that or are there any plans for an update to incorporate mac?

Thank you for your time!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, no plans. Someday I may get around to fixing libusb to work on macs, but as I dont maintain the libusb code and I dont have a mac on which it fails, it isn't likely to happen anytime soon.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Books101

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, no plans. Someday I may get around to fixing libusb to work on macs, but as I dont maintain the libusb code and I dont have a mac on which it fails, it isn't likely to happen anytime soon.
That's a bummer! Ok, then my last question is - If I email the books via calibre to my kindle fire will they show up under the books section?
Old 11-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No. They'll be documents.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
Books101

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No. They'll be documents.
Even if I changed the mobi output format from edoc to ebok?
Old 11-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Items emailed to Amazon are always documents, I believe.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
Books101

Quote:
Items emailed to Amazon are always documents, I believe.
In that case, I don't believe I will be getting a kindle fire! Thanks for all of your help!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Documents or books. Why does it matter? If it bothers you, there's other ways to get your files onto the Kindle. Seems like "cutting off your nose to spite your face" to base a decision on such a trivial matter.

Note that the same applies to any tablet using the Kindle App or, indeed, to any physical Kindle. The all work the same way.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
Books101

Quote:
Documents or books. Why does it matter? If it bothers you, there's other ways to get your files onto the Kindle. Seems like "cutting off your nose to spite your face" to base a decision on such a trivial matter.

Note that the same applies to any tablet using the Kindle App or, indeed, to any physical Kindle. The all work the same way.
Alright, so what other ways are there to get them into the kindle then?

If I am unable to easily load my books from calibre to the kindle fire than it isn't worth buying one. I'd rather just spend a little more, get an iPad mini, and use iBooks.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Books101 View Post
If I am unable to easily load my books from calibre to the kindle fire than it isn't worth buying one. I'd rather just spend a little more, get an iPad mini, and use iBooks.
Personally I would suggest a Nexus 7 using the Calibre Companion App (wireless required) and the reader software of your choice. I use Moon+Reader Pro. This Tablet, Apps and calibre plugins provide you with the greatest flexibility in purchasing and reading ebooks.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, fire, kindle