Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
coreslogic
coreslogic began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Post Play Store Apps on Arc

Hi all, first post here. I have a 32gb unopened Arc looking at me right now. I am pretty convinced that it is the right choice as far as display and as a text reader goes along with great SRS sound.

What I hope someone can answer me from using the device for a while now is how well it performs with play store apps in terms of compatibility and performance. I don't expect the device to rule the gaming category but what about common social/productivity apps such as facebook, twitter, RSS readers or even dropbox?

Most reviews did say it is a great ereader devices that can do some more (one being natively support google play) and if someone can provide some insight into that, it would be great!
coreslogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Using the Facebook, Gmail, Google Drive, and several games including Angry Birds I downloaded from the Play Store I've seen smooth performance and no issues after 2 weeks of use.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreslogic View Post
What I hope someone can answer me from using the device for a while now is how well it performs with play store apps in terms of compatibility and performance. I don't expect the device to rule the gaming category but what about common social/productivity apps such as facebook, twitter, RSS readers or even dropbox?
Works fine. Facebook & Twitter (as well as Google+) ship with the Arc. Dropbox works great (most apps that allow for pinning to Tapestries or sharing with social networks will also have Dropbox show up on the list).

Only had 2 apps I've tried fail so far (Adobe Flash (had to be sideloaded from GoodEReader) and Toki Tori (puzzle platformer, gained from the Humble Indie Bundle - but broken for everyon)), neither of which were from Play.

Really, the only problem is that the Arc is considered to be an unofficial build of Android, so some apps will refuse to let you download them from Play (such as TuneIn Radio, which I consider essential. Fortunately, GoodEReader's got it at their app store - don't even need to download their market app to install, either, just go with your browser).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Works fine. Facebook & Twitter (as well as Google+) ship with the Arc. Dropbox works great (most apps that allow for pinning to Tapestries or sharing with social networks will also have Dropbox show up on the list).

Only had 2 apps I've tried fail so far (Adobe Flash (had to be sideloaded from GoodEReader) and Toki Tori (puzzle platformer, gained from the Humble Indie Bundle - but broken for everyon)), neither of which were from Play.

Really, the only problem is that the Arc is considered to be an unofficial build of Android, so some apps will refuse to let you download them from Play (such as TuneIn Radio, which I consider essential. Fortunately, GoodEReader's got it at their app store - don't even need to download their market app to install, either, just go with your browser).
Arc is not an unofficial android device. We are fully android certified.

TuneIn has a GPS requirement. You can not download it from the Play store unless you meet this requirement. This is for TuneIn to change.

I hope that clears things up for everyone.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
Arc is not an unofficial android device. We are fully android certified.

TuneIn has a GPS requirement. You can not download it from the Play store unless you meet this requirement. This is for TuneIn to change.

I hope that clears things up for everyone.
Sorry, was using the "unofficial" wording as that's what TuneIn called it in their FAQ (it being the only one of the 5 or 6 "Your device isn't compatible with this version." apps to give any sort of an explanation when I followed up on at their web sites when I was randomly browsing interesting looking stuff; don't really remember the others ATM since TuneIn was the only one I was disappointed to see blocked out - but yay for GoodEReader. Even without a GPS, the app works perfectly).
Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Sorry, was using the "unofficial" wording as that's what TuneIn called it in their FAQ (it being the only one of the 5 or 6 "Your device isn't compatible with this version." apps to give any sort of an explanation when I followed up on at their web sites when I was randomly browsing interesting looking stuff; don't really remember the others ATM since TuneIn was the only one I was disappointed to see blocked out - but yay for GoodEReader. Even without a GPS, the app works perfectly).
No worries, I just wanted to clarify for anyone that may see your comment via a google search.

We have contacted TuneIn about the issue but they have yet to respond with a fix.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
No worries, I just wanted to clarify for anyone that may see your comment via a google search.

We have contacted TuneIn about the issue but they have yet to respond with a fix.
Hope they do. It's a very good app, my favorite so far, and it sucks to have to sideload. :P
Old 12-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
this is a bit annoying for me also in that i already have the TuneIn Pro paid for app that it appears i won't be able to bring on to the arc. the other thing i missed when i bought it. no gps
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
this is a bit annoying for me also in that i already have the TuneIn Pro paid for app that it appears i won't be able to bring on to the arc. the other thing i missed when i bought it. no gps
I had Tune In Pro on my Vox (no gps) and it worked quite well. Just get it elsewhere than the Play Store.... The Aptoide market for example, will let you install without having the gps on your device.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

cheers for that but will i have to pay for it again
Old 12-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
cheers for that but will i have to pay for it again
No. Just use your same username and password when setting it up.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
stevov
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
No. Just use your same username and password when setting it up.
cheers

Tags
arc, kobo, performance