Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
PS Kindle
PS Kindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Please help on updating K2 firmware from 2.3 to 2.5

I am trying to update my K2 firmware from 2.3 to 2.5. I installed the screen-saver hack many months ago. I know I need to uninstall the hack before I can update the firmware. I copied the uninstall bin (update_screensaverhack-uninstall-k2.bin) to the root directory, but the "update your kindle" is grayed out. I even reseted my kindle to factory default and I still can't update my firmware. Would hardware reset do it? I am running out of ideas. Please help, thank you.
PS Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Grayed out 'Update Your Kindle" link == wrong .bin file for your Kindle model.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
PS Kindle

It is the correct bin file (update_screensaverhack-uninstall-k2.bin). I used this one to install the hack: update_screensaverhack-install-k2.bin.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
mrgentleman
mrgentleman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I had the same problem as you. If you look at the file in the root does it have .cpgz after the .bin? If so try removing the .cpgz, hopefully that should work!
mrgentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Kindle View Post
It is the correct bin file (update_screensaverhack-uninstall-k2.bin). I used this one to install the hack: update_screensaverhack-install-k2.bin.
That .bin file is for the U.S. version of K2. If you have the International version of K2 you need the K2i uninstall file.

What does your Kindle Serial Number start with?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
PS Kindle

Guys, thank you for trying to help. Mind is the US K2 version (otherwise I wouldn't have been able to install the hack with "update_screensaverhack-install-k2.bin"). Also, there is no .cpgz extension.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
PS Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
That .bin file is for the U.S. version of K2. If you have the International version of K2 you need the K2i uninstall file.

What does your Kindle Serial Number start with?
It is B003. It is the US Kindle 2.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is B003. It is the US Kindle 2.
That's a K2 International serial number.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
PS Kindle

Thank you, you are right, it worked. I can't believe I made this mistake! For some reason, I always thought my Kindle is the US version (I guess it is because I bought it in the US). This forum saved me again! You guys are great!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Thank you, you are right, it worked. I can't believe I made this mistake! For some reason, I always thought my Kindle is the US version (I guess it is because I bought it in the US). This forum saved me again! You guys are great!
Glad it worked for you. The original K2 was only available in the U.S. It was replaced by the K2 International (Global) which was available in the U.S. and about 100 other countries.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #11
PS Kindle

Thank you again. I was able to remove the screen saver hack and installed the latest firmware (2.5.4). However, I was unable to reinstall the screen saver hack. Is there a new screen saver application available for firmware version 2.5?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Thank you again. I was able to remove the screen saver hack and installed the latest firmware (2.5.4). However, I was unable to reinstall the screen saver hack. Is there a new screen saver application available for firmware version 2.5?
Yes. NiLuJe created a new hack which involves jailbreaking the Kindle (very easy). You can find the instructions on the Kindle Screen Saver Hack for all 2.5.x Kindles wiki page but be sure to check the link to original thread for any updates.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
PS Kindle

Thank you, daffy4u. This will be my little project for the weekend.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
Shawneea
Shawneea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I am having this same problem. Can someone please help me? I want to unhack my Kindle 2 and put the new 2.5.7 update on it. My Kindle serial starts with B003 and the settings say it's version: Kindle 2.3(399380047) + SSi 0.1. I have tried several ways to uninstall but, I can't get it to work. Can some one help me with step by step directions? Please!
Shawneea is offline   Reply With Quote