Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #16
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
It's called 'The Age of Wonder' by Richard Holmes.

Amazon link to it here.
I've read it as well, and I second the recommendation. Good book. I second the Michener as well if you're into that kind of stuff.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #17
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Actually, yes, I have been feeling guilty - not too guilty, as I needed a little more fiction in my life, but guilty nonetheless! Since I've had my reader I been reading a lot more fiction and a lot less non-fiction. The non-fiction books that I read are generally concerned with linguistics, but I also like to read biographies, books about mythology, books about various religions that I would like to learn more about, books about food (not limited only to recipes) and ancient history. I just picked up a book called "A History of Celibacy" from the library which looks interesting (my husband rolled his eyes when he saw me pick that one up!).
I need to read more books about mythology. I took a course on mythology once, but there are so many gods, goddesses, demigods and heroes that it's impossible to keep track of them all. Of course, the situation isn't helped by the fact that each culture has their own individual legends and myths.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #18
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I need to read more books about mythology. I took a course on mythology once, but there are so many gods, goddesses, demigods and heroes that it's impossible to keep track of them all. Of course, the situation isn't helped by the fact that each culture has their own individual legends and myths.
The best one on the Greeks and Romans is Edith Hamilton's "Mythology."
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #19
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Thanks. There's a lot on my plate at the moment, but I will get around to checking that out, eventually.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #20
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
One that I liked was "Comparative Mythology" by Jaan Puhvel, there is a lot on ancient myths in India and Iran, although he covers other Indo-European groups as well. I would like to read up more on Japanese mythology, hopefully I'll come accross a good book covering that soon.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #21
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Thanks. There's a lot on my plate at the moment, but I will get around to checking that out, eventually.
Glad to hear it. It's very easy to read, and it's broken up into short stories if that seems less daunting to you.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Glad to hear it. It's very easy to read, and it's broken up into short stories if that seems less daunting to you.
So far I haven't been able to find any of Edith Hamilton's works in ebook editions. I mainly tried to find her Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes. I may have to bite the bullet and buy paper.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
One that I liked was "Comparative Mythology" by Jaan Puhvel, there is a lot on ancient myths in India and Iran, although he covers other Indo-European groups as well. I would like to read up more on Japanese mythology, hopefully I'll come accross a good book covering that soon.
I'll try to find that as well. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #24
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So far I haven't been able to find any of Edith Hamilton's works in ebook editions. I mainly tried to find her Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes. I may have to bite the bullet and buy paper.
You should. It's a good thing to always have on your bookshelf (or is that only because I got my degree in Classics?). You can find a copy in any bookstore though.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #25
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
You should. It's a good thing to always have on your bookshelf (or is that only because I got my degree in Classics?). You can find a copy in any bookstore though.
I agree (and not only because I, too, am a classics buff!). Literature is so full of mythological references (including and perhaps even especially children's / YA lit) that I feel it's a good idea to have some sort of reference work for mythology (either classical or mythology in general) on your shelf, it really enriches your reading.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #26
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I agree (and not only because I, too, am a classics buff!). Literature is so full of mythological references (including and perhaps even especially children's / YA lit) that I feel it's a good idea to have some sort of reference work for mythology (either classical or mythology in general) on your shelf, it really enriches your reading.
Plus it's a darn good read

If anyone needs some non-fiction recommendations, I've got some up on my blog right now (just click the non-fiction tag).
/shameless promo
Old 01-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #27
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Quote:
You two have convinced me. I just ordered the paperback.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #28
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I don't feel guilty at all. I read books for a relaxing escape once in a while. Reality has its time and place.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #29
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I don't feel guilty about not reading non-fiction more. Sometimes a fiction book leads me to look for a non-fiction or i pick up a non-fiction when I see something that interests me. But guilty? Definately not. What is the point of me getting more non-fiction (either bought or from library) and I don't enjoy them and therefore won't read them.

For me, reading is mainly about escape and relaxing.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #30
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
I don't feel guilty about not reading non-fiction more. Sometimes a fiction book leads me to look for a non-fiction or i pick up a non-fiction when I see something that interests me. But guilty? Definately not. What is the point of me getting more non-fiction (either bought or from library) and I don't enjoy them and therefore won't read them.

For me, reading is mainly about escape and relaxing.
Reading is also about escape and relaxing for me also. Almost all of the non-fiction ebooks I recently purchased have been for entertainment.
Such as humorous travel adventures by Bill Bryson and Charley Boorman or funny rantings of Jeremy Clarkson on his view of the world.
I don't want to read ebooks that are too heavy. I get enough of that at work
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote