Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
dconabree
dconabree began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Any updates on getting Mac support for the SonyStore?

It seems that this comes up now and again - but not a peep in while. Buying books from Diesel and others is OK but it requires extra steps so I can't get the non-geek family into buying ebooks.
dconabree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

I think at a recent conference they said they wanted to have it done by fall, but don't quote me on that.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
dconabree

...operators are standing by....
Old 06-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I also heard a rumor of Mac support by end of the year.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sony's likely to release a new reader in time for the holidays, and I bet they'll announce Mac compatibility at the same time.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Sony's likely to release a new reader in time for the holidays, and I bet they'll announce Mac compatibility at the same time.
How much are we betting? 100 Quatloos?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
D1ffuse
D1ffuse began at the beginning.

It certainly would be nice for Sony to acknowledge that Macs exist.

On a related mac matter, how can I update the PRS-505 reader's firmware? Is it possible with a mac or do I need to beg indulgence from a PC-owning friend?
D1ffuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur
DanielCoffey began at the beginning.

Do you *need* to update it?

Safest way is to use your PC-cursed friend to do it for you (and to register it with ADE at the same time)
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
dconabree

I did my update on a friend's PC. I really wish they'd realize how many of the folks who actually BUY electronic versions of new books are also Mac fans. Sony needs to make ebook buying as easy and tight for everyone as buying media from Itunes. If they don't, someone else will and Sony will have squandered thier lead.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
D1ffuse

Thanks for the answer Daniel,
Do I need to upgrade the firmware? Probably not, though I was hoping it'd stop the irregular freezes the reader suffers with rtf files. Guess I figure that companies release new firmware for superceded models to fix glitches - the good new features they save for new models.

By the way, what's ADE?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:15 AM   #11
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur
DanielCoffey began at the beginning.

ADE = Adobe Digital Editions

I believe it is the Adobe software for managing some DRM content on your Sony (please correct me if I am wrong)

http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

The catch is that you currently need to be on a windows PC to register your 505 with the Sony Database. Thereafter you can use the Mac version to download/manage books.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:13 AM   #12
D1ffuse

With mac it seems there's always a catch. Aah well. I took the leap from PC to Mac three months ago and, aside from minor inconveniences like this one, and loving it. Can't see myself becoming evangelistic, or one-eyed, but Macs do seem more intuitive to me.

Multi-nationals like Sony need to offer Mac support, or they'll lose customer support. I'm looking to upgrade my digital voice recorder (yes, a Sony) because the software it comes with doesn't run on a mac.

If the little guy can support Mac and even Linux (Calibre's a great example, love it), surely big companies can as well.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #13
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1ffuse View Post
If the little guy can support Mac and even Linux (Calibre's a great example, love it), surely big companies can as well.
Unless someone in the Mac world makes it 'one-button press' simple, I think you may see future support for Mac erode even more. Mac market share has dropped over the last several years and now developers seem more interested in porting Windows programs to Linux (and variants) than to Mac. Mac OS is in the number 3 OS slot and so hardware manufacuturers like Sony know they are only giving up less that 3.5% if they don't support Mac compatibility. Small potatoes financially. Sad but true.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #14
Peter_Hartland
Peter_Hartland began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, MacBook, Blackberry Curve 8900
I can run the Sony software on my MacBook & IMac but have to use VM Fussionware running windows. Sony said it was not possible but it works fine. However glad I found this site which lead me to Calibrate which is better IMHO anyway.
Peter_Hartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
Mac market share has dropped over the last several years and now developers seem more interested in porting Windows programs to Linux (and variants) than to Mac. Mac OS is in the number 3 OS slot and so hardware manufacuturers like Sony know they are only giving up less that 3.5% if they don't support Mac compatibility.
I'm afraid your information is out of date.

July 2007:
Windows: 93.22%
Mac: 5.99%
Linux/Other: 0.79%

May 2009:
Windows: 87.75%
Mac: 9.81%
Linux/Other: 2.44%

Mac is nearly 1/10 of total market, and over 1/9 of Windows.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote