Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
WDM.Amy
PE User
WDM.Amy began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Smile Warranty repairs honored!

Good news comes from bad news...

I had an EE since February 2011. When Woot had the PE for $125, I just had to get one. I copied over all of my library files (manually) from my EE to the PE. Two days later, my power port where you plug in the adapter broke on the EE (the little pin in the middle snapped off inside the adapter). Two thoughts immediately came to mind:
1. Oh, $hit. The company went out of business now the warranty is void.
2. Wow...someone is looking out for me since I backed up everything only 2 days prior!

I called SupporTrix - They suggested I called Amazon (who I bought the EE from). After some negotiating, Amazon will take my EE back for a full refund since they are forced to uphold the year warranty! They also stated that if an item is broken due to USER FAULT (like you accidently ran it over with your car), they will offer a refund less 15%!! I am shipping it back today. I will post again when I actually get the refund. For those of you that have warranty repair issues, try going to the store that you purchased your EE/PE from. Many of them will honor the warranty.

Now...to buy a new EE or not...that is the question :-)
WDM.Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM.Amy View Post
Now...to buy a new EE or not...that is the question :-)
If you can still find one!

Glad to hear you're not SOL, though.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
That's good news, Amy!

Did you know that some previous EE owners have "fixed" that problem with a bit of paperclip? Apparently it was a fault in a particular generation of EEs. I'm afraid it will happpen to mine.

Looking for the thread about this:
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
I have to say that is a very minor repair job - open unit, unsolder socket (2 or 3 solder pads) fit and solder in new socket, close unit. Something we charge €30 for on notebooks and I would think we'd charge the same on an EE.

Edit: I should have added that it is the type of repair that could be undertaken by any outfit that repairs notebook computers.

Last edited by ivanjt; 07-14-2011 at 06:52 PM.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you return it?? Or will you put the $15 toward having a repair shop (or your own handiness) take care of the issue? If you get it repaired I would like to know how hard it was to find someone to do it. Just in case, you know!
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
WDM.Amy
PE User

Bummer!! I returned it already. If my PE breaks, I will be sure to keep these ideas in mind. I sort of assumed that since no retail store sold these in my area that no one would be able to fix it... And you defintiely don't want me poking around inside a computer!!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
WDM.Amy
PE User

Well, I got an email from Amazon today. They refunded my purchase price less a 20% restocking fee. I called them right away and said that I should have gotten a full refund since this was a warranty issue. I also made the point that they would not be restocking a broken item. After several minutes of negotiating, I got my full refund (and requested a verification be sent to me in an e-mail for written proof). I think they just didn't want to eat the full cost. Makes me wonder if they are purposely trying to take advantage of less assertive customers...
Old 07-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Filark

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM.Amy View Post
Well, I got an email from Amazon today. They refunded my purchase price less a 20% restocking fee. I called them right away and said that I should have gotten a full refund since this was a warranty issue. I also made the point that they would not be restocking a broken item. After several minutes of negotiating, I got my full refund (and requested a verification be sent to me in an e-mail for written proof). I think they just didn't want to eat the full cost. Makes me wonder if they are purposely trying to take advantage of less assertive customers...
I find it often pays to be a squeaky wheel -- in as nice a way as you can, of course! I used to watch my mother get amazing concessions from people by being very persistent and very polite. She just kept going up the chain until someone with authority caved.

Now my husband usually greets every retail challenge with "they'll never do that!" I like to occasionally prove him wrong.

Congrats, WDM.Amy, you did well!

Tags
entourage edge warranty, pocket edge warranty