Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
brinlingfm
Enthusiast
brinlingfm began at the beginning.

Device: none
Shared Emptiness - A Family In Crisis

SHARED EMPTINESS

Synopsis:
A look into the harrowing despair of a middle-class family tormented beyond endurance by a mindless act of violence.

Chris Carter, at 24, a medical student, had it all. Good looks, intelligence, a winning personality, a loving family. His girlfriend, Louise, was his dream girl, and he had everything ahead of him, everything to live for….

Until he was mugged after walking Louise home from his sister’s birthday party—and his world and the world of all those who knew him was changed forever.

His brain damage was significant, and it was touch-and-go whether he would ever again be the person he was, ever again be able to leave the hospital bed and walk outside in the summer sun.

His family and friends—simple, good folk— struggled to come to grips with their changed reality, and were forced into decisions that no one should ever have to make.

Chris’ mother, Frannie, struggled to hold the family together, while consumed with grief.

Vince, Chris’ father, dodged reality and continued his unrealistic existence until reality could not be denied.

Jeannie, Chris’ younger sister, who always considered herself a second class citizen, didn’t know how to seize the advantage Chris’ hospitalization offered.

Father Norman, Chris’ friend and parish priest, was forced to choose between his church and his friend. His battle about what was right and wrong pitted him against Father Whittier, his pastor, and his God.

Dr. Meredith, the neurosurgeon who operated on Chris, not only faced incredible medical problems, but also the treachery of his subordinates, particularly Dr. Prendergast, a research-oriented psychologist.

Dr. Prendergast saw Chris as a unique test subject and, despite warnings by Dr. Meredith to the contrary, tried to get Chris to participate in his sensory deprivation experiments.

Carol, Chris’ nurse, found a way to communicate with Chris beyond the superficial, and her devotion and desire to protect him changed the course of events

This book is available at:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y6E62E
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Y6E62E
https://www.amazon.co.de/dp/B004Y6E62E
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56219
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sha.../2940012455727

Thanks for your time and interest.
John Brinling, author
brinlingfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
brinlingfm
Enthusiast

SHARED EMPTINESS - "Now that was a great story"

SHARED EMPTINESS. A family drama. One reviewer who rated the book Five Star, had this to say:
A great read, a fantastic twist of an ending, one that no one would expect, but one that makes you feel good when you are done. I put my kindle down on my lap after reading the last page, put my hand on it and said, "Now that was a great story", and I meant it.

The book is available at:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y6E62E
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Y6E62E
https://www.amazon.co.de/dp/B004Y6E62E
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56219
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sha.../2940012455727
Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Bought this seconds ago from amazon. Thanks for writing.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
brinlingfm
Enthusiast

Hi, Martin:
Many thanks.
In South Africa, what Amazon do you use. US, UK, other?
I hope you enjoy the book, and would love for you to write a review when you are finished.
Have a great day.
John
Old 06-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use the US store. Have done for many years even pre Kindle. Geographic restrictions are a problem and frequently try to purchase recommended books only to be told that they are unavailable in SA. Pleased your book was not so restricted.

Your book is next on my reading list, should start it by Friday. Will review.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
brinlingfm
Enthusiast

I have a free short story out on Amazon that might interest you, an appetizer, sort of. It's titled: His First Kill. You shouldn't have any trouble downloading it. And I live in Vermont, the locale of the story.
Thanks again.
John
Old 06-09-2011, 05:59 AM   #7
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen

I have started Shared Emptiness.

A bleak story but I am pretty engrossed and have no problem with bleak now and again. Thus far I really like the way the story is constructed.

On the negative the version I have from Amazon is very poorly formatted. Some words needlessly hyphen-ated. Margins vary in width sometimes
mid page and various typos. It
does detract from the book and
Im feel thjat these errors could
easily be rectified. I will for sure finish the book but just wanted to let you know ahead that these problems exist at least on the version I purchased.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:25 AM   #8
brinlingfm
Enthusiast

Thank you very much for pointing out those problems. Some of the typos originated because of the way I digitized the book (i.e., scanning a hardcopy). I thought I had found most of the errors but apparently not.
Each site (I.e., Amazon, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble) does it's own formatting and your comment is the first I've heard. I will address these problems and I thank you for sticking with the book.
Have a great day.
John
Old 06-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
brinlingfm
Enthusiast

I think I found the formatting problem and in a few days - Amazon takes forever to make a change - that should be corrected. I apologize again for the inconvenience.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:11 AM   #10
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen

No problem

Finished the book last night. It really sucked me in The ending had me very surprised. I will write a review on Amazon. Slow at the moment with 1 arm in a sling so everything except reading is taking me forever. Being self employed is not helping but promise I will get to it.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
brinlingfm
Enthusiast

Thanks for your endurance...and sorry to hear about your injury.
Let me suggest another book of mine that you might like. It is a NYC-based mystery/thriller titled: The Ghost Of A Flea. I hope you'll give it a look.
Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to your review.
Have a good day.
John

Tags
brain dead, catholic church, coma, pittsburgh, priest