Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-31-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
rainyofthedark
rainyofthedark began at the beginning.

Device: Android Kindle
Italics on Kindle app for Android

Hi,

My ebook was formatted with css/html, and converted with Calibre. The italics show up in the Kindle app for PC, as well as Kindle Fire and legacy Kindle devices. They do not show up in the Kindle app for Android. The app is up to date.

I've tried html italics tag, em, and css id but all with the same results. I specified the font as Times New Roman. Same issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

R
rainyofthedark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyofthedark View Post
I've tried html italics tag, em, and css id but all with the same results. I specified the font as Times New Roman. Same issue.
Did you convert your file to a .MOBI file or an .AZW3 file in Calibre?
If you selected MOBI as the target try AZW3; if you selected AZW3, try compiling your book with Kindle Previewer.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2014, 01:56 AM   #3
rainyofthedark
rainyofthedark began at the beginning.

Device: Android Kindle
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure azw3 is going to be the solution, though. I should have mentioned that this ebook is being tested before uploading to Amazon. It is my understanding that Amazon will not accept an azw3 file. Also, as far as I'm aware, the older e-ink Kindles can't read it. So that might solve one problem, but it'll create two more. :/
rainyofthedark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:37 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
It is my understanding that Amazon will not accept an azw3 file.
That's correct, but if the azw3 file displays correctly, you can forget about the issue, since the current Kindle for Android apps can display azw3 files.

Since KDP is known to turn down books generated by Calibre, I'd recommend generating the book with Kindle Previewer/KindleGen anyway. (KindleGen generates a hybrid mobi file with files for current and older Kindles.)

It also couldn't hurt to post a code excerpt that shows the problematic paragraph and all styles applied to it, including any <div>s that the paragraphs are wrapped in.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:49 AM   #5
RMOP
Connoisseur
RMOP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, TabPRO 8.4, Galaxy Light, Sony PRS-300
Quote:
I'm not sure azw3 is going to be the solution, though./
No. I don't think so. The problem seems to be that the Android Kindle reader doesn't properly display the italics, no matter how properly you prepare the file. The problem is with the reader. Until they fix it, it's no good, best as I can tell. I just spent several hours on a similar issue only to find that the same file looks fine on an actual Kindle and on the PC Kindle reader. Just not on my Android Kindle reader, which is the latest version, BTW. I don't know if this got broken somewhere along the way of never worked properly. But it's a real nuisance.
RMOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
There is a complaint on Amazon.com here. Anyone else having problems with this should chime in; maybe we can get Amazon to actually move on this with enough discussion there.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Thank you, Amazon! Update to v 4.4.0.48 allows us to change our font.

Font Georgia is allowing me to see the italics on my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 now and reading it so much more pleasant.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMOP View Post
No. I don't think so. The problem seems to be that the Android Kindle reader doesn't properly display the italics, no matter how properly you prepare the file. The problem is with the reader. Until they fix it, it's no good, best as I can tell. I just spent several hours on a similar issue only to find that the same file looks fine on an actual Kindle and on the PC Kindle reader. Just not on my Android Kindle reader, which is the latest version, BTW. I don't know if this got broken somewhere along the way of never worked properly. But it's a real nuisance.
I'm reading a book right now on my Droid HTC One K4Droid reader, and it's displaying italics just fine. I am not seeing the problem, nor have I seen it in the past on other droids/tablets. I suspect--having not seen any coding from you--that possibly it's unique to you and/or others who've coded their books the same way. Not a condemnation, just...weird that I haven't seen it. We do this professionally and check dozens of books a week.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:42 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Rainyofthedark:

Update:

By any chance, are there spans around your italicizing tags, as well as the plain <i></i>? Enclosing the word and the italics tags, so wrapped around them?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMOP View Post
If you open the MOBI file in Kindle Previewer in one of the Kindle Fire modes, do you see the same problem? If so, please post a short snippet of your markup and a copy of any CSS that applies to it.

Edit: Never mind. I just saw that it works on the Fire. That's really odd. I would have thought that the Fire, being Android under the hood, would use the same app. Are you sure the problem isn't specific to your particular device model? This sounds like it might be a missing font....

Last edited by dgatwood; 03-24-2014 at 09:11 PM.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android app, ebook, formatting, italics, kindle