Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #151
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Much as I love my iPad Mini for reading on, it's too big to carry around in my pocket, and I couldn't comfortably read on anything much smaller. For me, therefore, the combination of my 3.5" iPhone 4, and my 7" (or whatever it is) iPad Mini, is ideal. A single device for both functions wouldn't work as well for either.
I've come to this conclusion too. I had an iPhone 4, thought that getting a bigger phone would be ideal as it would serve as a tablet and phone. I decided to get he galaxy note, aside from stability issues and preference for iOS, I found that it was too big. I tried a galaxy S4 which although smaller is still too big. I've had my iPad mini for a year now and since getting it, it negated the need for a bigger phone. I've now got the iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S and iPad mini are the perfect combo, and of course my kindle paperwhite for reading.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #152
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
But, as you yourself said, the ipad is too cumbersome to carry around, and I would gather the 3.5" screen is too small to read on. A phablet could solve both problems.
A phablet was too big to be used as a phone and too small to be a tablet, when I used the galaxy note. The kindle will always be my first choice for reading but if I don't have it, or another device is more convenient to read on for a short period, the 4 inch screen of my iPhone will suffice, just as much as my iPad. They are both LCD displays and inferior, so the size really doesn't matter to me. Hell the iPhone 3G was the first device I ever read ebooks on, so I can do it and it's not my main device.

Last edited by shanghaichica; 01-21-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #153
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I mostly use my phone for phone related activities only. Maybe 10 to 20 min during the day to read the news.
Wait, what? You read the news on it, a task that your iPad mini could do better? Why would you do such a thing?

pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #154
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Wait, what? You read the news on it, a task that your iPad mini could do better? Why would you do such a thing?

Because is more portable ... ...

I take my lunch break and with one hand only, I swap and read news from AP and USA Today apps while I enjoy my delicious burger or Greek's style lunch.

But I usually bring my Retina Mini or iPad air to work and take the lunch break and use them too. I just do not spend , usually, more than 20 or 30 min reading from my iPhone.

Last edited by jocampo; 01-21-2014 at 04:46 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #155
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Interesting thread, I've got a 5.9" HTC One Max on order, should be here tomorrow. I needed a new phone, don't have a tablet, wanted decent internet access & to be able to read the odd book when out and about. Hopefully this will do the job of a phone and a tablet while still fitting into a pocket - well, that's the idea anyway.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #156
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
A phablet was too big to be used as a phone and too small to be a tablet, when I used the galaxy note. The kindle will always be my first choice for reading but if I don't have it, or another device is more convenient to read on for a short period, the 4 inch screen of my iPhone will suffice, just as much as my iPad. They are both LCD displays and inferior, so the size really doesn't matter to me. Hell the iPhone 3G was the first device I ever read ebooks on, so I can do it and it's not my main device.
I don't understand why people consider something like the Note 2 too big to use as a phone. So long as it can make, & receive calls then it is doing what it is supposed to. It works just fine for me when I need its phone capabilities.

Unless you are worried about what others think about you using it as a phone and think they are laughing at you or whatever. In which case that truly is your problem. I long since stopped worrying about what other people think and do what is best for me.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #157
shanghaichica
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I don't understand why people consider something like the Note 2 too big to use as a phone. So long as it can make, & receive calls then it is doing what it is supposed to. It works just fine for me when I need its phone capabilities.

Unless you are worried about what others think about you using it as a phone and think they are laughing at you or whatever. In which case that truly is your problem. I long since stopped worrying about what other people think and do what is best for me.
I have small hands. It was hard to get to grips with and impossible to use one handed. I don't care how I look but it didn't feel comfortable to use. I had the original note which although had a slightly smaller screen than the note 2, it was much wider.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #158
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
I've come to this conclusion too. I had an iPhone 4, thought that getting a bigger phone would be ideal as it would serve as a tablet and phone. I decided to get he galaxy note, aside from stability issues and preference for iOS, I found that it was too big. I tried a galaxy S4 which although smaller is still too big. I've had my iPad mini for a year now and since getting it, it negated the need for a bigger phone. I've now got the iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S and iPad mini are the perfect combo, and of course my kindle paperwhite for reading.
I had the opposite experience. I currently use the Galaxy S4. I love the screen size! I started with a T-Mobile comet which has a smaller screen than an iPhone. I had an iPod touch as well. When I upgraded to a Galaxy S2, the screen size just felt so much better. I love the S4 even more. I thought about the Note 3 but I thought that was too big (for now!). Plus, I have a Nexus 7 so getting a phablet would be redundant. However, I think if I really wanted to, I could replace my phone and my tablet with a phablet. I love my Nexus for reading and I think a lot of phablets are great for reading too because of the high pixel density.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #159
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Quote:
I have small hands. It was hard to get to grips with and impossible to use one handed. I don't care how I look but it didn't feel comfortable to use. I had the original note which although had a slightly smaller screen than the note 2, it was much wider.
If I used my Note 2 one handed most of the time I would think it was too big too. I use my phablet with two hands 90% of the time. Most of the time when I'm using it one handed all I'm doing is scrolling.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #160
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The acid test for many men: can I fit it in a pocket of my suit?
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:46 AM   #161
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
The acid test for many men: can I fit it in a pocket of my suit?
More a case of "will it fit into my jeans' pockets", in my case .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:48 AM   #162
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I don't understand why people consider something like the Note 2 too big to use as a phone.
It's not the "using it as a phone" aspect that concerns me, so much as the "carrying it around" aspect. Probably fine for a woman who can carry it in her handbag, but I wouldn't want to try to fit into into the pockets of some of my trousers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:58 AM   #163
shanghaichica
Guru

Quote:
It's not the "using it as a phone" aspect that concerns me, so much as the "carrying it around" aspect. Probably fine for a woman who can carry it in her handbag, but I wouldn't want to try to fit into into the pockets of some of my trousers.
I don't mind putting a bigger phone in my handbag. It just became counterproductive when I was carrying around a galaxy phone, an iPod touch and an iPad mini, and only using the galaxy (note/S4) to make phone calls.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #164
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Quote:
It's not the "using it as a phone" aspect that concerns me, so much as the "carrying it around" aspect.
People have asked me how I fit my Note 2 into my pocket. But I can fit it in sideways even. Not a problem. I can fit my Nexus 7 in my pocket too, a little tight, but it fits. Even though it fits I wouldn't want to carry it around all the time. It's just a tad too large. But I would have no problem holding it up to my face like a phone.

I want the largest phone I can comfortably carry. I'm thinking ~6" or ~6.5" with a very thin bezel.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #165
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I see a resurgence in the popularity of cargo-pants on the horizon.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote