Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
djkoble
djkoble began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Email to Kindle not working

Hi all,
I know this is a common problem but I can't get Calibre to email a book to my Kindle.
I am running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium and am running Norton Security Suite. I have checked the Norton firewall and made sure calibre is allowed access through the firewall. My email provider is Comcast.
I have checked my Kindle account on Amazon and allowed my email address as an allowed email address.

The error message I get from Calibre is as follows:

calibre, version 0.8.59
ERROR: Failed to email book: <b>Failed</b>: Email The Blade Itself to xxxxxx@kindle.com

Starting job: Email The Blade Itself to xxxxxx@kindle.com

Sending failed...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 37, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 112, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 93, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 85, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)

Retrying in 1 seconds...

Sending failed...

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 37, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 112, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 93, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 85, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)

Job: "Email The Blade Itself to xxxxxx@kindle.com" failed with error:
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\threaded_jobs.py", line 83, in start_work
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 92, in __call__

Called with args: (u'C:\\Users\\Yyyyy\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre _0.8.59_tmp_xlnlhf\\rnscldcaltmpfmt.mobi', u'The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie.mobi', u'xxxxx@kindle.com', u'E-book: The Blade Itself', u'Attached, you will find the e-book\n\nThe Blade Itself\n\tby Joe Abercrombie\n\nin the MOBI format.') {u'notifications': <Queue.Queue instance at 0x0951DF58>, u'abort': <threading._Event object at 0x094F5630>, u'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x094F5830>}

Any help anyone could give me would be appreciated as I currently have to manually connect my Kindle to the computer via a USB connection which is inconvenient.
Thanks,
-Dennis

Last edited by theducks; 07-10-2012 at 12:53 PM.
djkoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ails-using-app
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
djkoble
djkoble began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks!

That did the trick. I was just hesitant to open yet another email account but it did do the trick.
It has turned out to not be quite as convenient as hoped however since even though the email works you apparently still have to then go to Manage your Kindle on Amazon's website and then tell Amazon that you want the title sent to your particular Kindle.
I couldn't find any obvious way to bypass this additional step. If there is a way I'd love to hear about it. Calibre is so useful in so many ways btw. Great job!
Thanks again,
-Dennis
djkoble is offline   Reply With Quote