Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
ArmadilloPilot
Enthusiast
ArmadilloPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Verse Pro
First Checkout from Overdrive - Viewing in Calibre?

Today, I found a library to give me a card so I could check E-books. I picked an available book and went to checkout from Overdrive. I was given a option dialog of what software to use for the download, but only Sony Reader was listed. I selected that one and the download went without a hitch. I was able to read the book on my computer. I then connected my 650 and added the book to my device library. I was then able to read the book on the 650. Pretty nice.

Later I turned on calibre and found that I could not access the book on calibre. A message came up claiming a DRM error. Is this normal? Could I have downloaded the book using calibre instead of Sony Reader and then been able to view the book in the Calibre reader? Having only had the Sony for under two weeks, I am still trying to figure out all the intricacies of managing the ebook library.

Last edited by ArmadilloPilot; 02-15-2011 at 11:07 PM.
ArmadilloPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Yep, that's EXACTLY how it is supposed to work. Welcome to the wonderful world of DRM

As I just commented in another thread, though I am not a fan of DRM when it gets in the way of something that you need to do with a book you have purchased, I think it's reasonable to play by the rules with library books.

If you have a book that is so badly formatted that you feel the need to strip the DRM so you can change the formatting, then you can use one of Alf's DRM stripping scripts or some of the unauthorized third party Calibre plugin's that you can find by Googling around on the web, but please don't ask for specifics here.

The Calibre author has made it very clear that he doesn't want his program associated in any way with programs that remove DRM.

Last edited by delphin; 02-16-2011 at 04:44 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It is not your book to store in your collection in Calibre.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
If you have a PC, you can only use Adobe Digital Editions or Sony Reader Library to download and transfer library books for your ereader. If you have a Mac, you can only use Sony Reader Library to do the same for library books. I think it's limited to these 2 software packages because they are able to add the time expiration info to the file for the library due-date.

Other DRM books that you have purchased, like from Sony or Borders, can be added to your calibre library and transferred via calibre to your Sony ereader. However, you won't be able to view them or convert them with calibre due to the DRM. Hope that helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
khintul
Enthusiast
khintul doesn't litterkhintul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle 3, PRS-300, PRS-350, PaperWhite 1, Kobo Aura HD
I use Calibre as a means to keep track of the books I've gotten from the library. As you've discovered, the books cannot be opened with Calibre, but all the info about the book can. What I do is, when I download a book from Overdrive, I do not use the "open with" dialog. I just save the download to my desktop. This only downloads the licensing info of the book, and when I drag that to Calibre the title shows up and I am able to change the metadata within Calibre. Then I open Adobe Digital Editions and drag the download to it, and then the book is there ready to be transferred to my reader.

I do this with Overdrive audiobooks as well. Can't open anything with Calibre of course, but at least it gives me a way to organize the titles and see what I've already read/listened to.
khintul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thanks for sharing your process, khintul. That's very interesting. I use the Reader Library software to transfer library books. But, I also do something similar. I created a collection called "Borrowed Books" to organize them.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote