Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 06:24 AM   #1
Loubee
Loubee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
No Worries here....

Hi all,

I got a Kobo for Christmas and to date have had no problems with it at all.....I am now on my fifth book ( I read fast) - 'Haven' by Justin Kemppainen. It was a free book from the Kobo website and I have to say it is brilliant!

I love the fact that many books are way cheaper than traditional paper and that I can get them instantly....my hubby calls my Kobo my life support machine as I am always carrying it around! Am currently waiting on delivery of a waterproof bag so I can read in the spa and Etsy.com do loads of great handmade cases so I ordered one of those too! all in all, I am completely chuffed with my gadget - hope everyone else is too
Loubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm glad that you are loving your new Kobo, and welcome. I carry my Sony reader around everywhere, too!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
A good report!

I'm in your corner, my Kobo doesn't leave my side.

It's kinda like a trusty six-shooter. (If I were a cowboy, and if the West was still Wild. Imagine if you will, ah never mind!)
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Welcome to mobileread Loubee!

You are just down the road from where we live
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Loubee

Thanks for the welcome.....I forgot to add, apart from the initial charge when I opened it on xmas day, I have finally had to plug it in and charge after 2 weeks of every day use - how good is that?!
Quick question.....Is the non wifi version still avaliable in WA as mother in law would like one for her birthday...she is in her 70's and a slight technophobe - wanna try to keep it as simple as possible for her....she lives in the UK - is Kobo supported over there?
ta in advance....
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
In the UK, I believe Kobo's are now sold via WH Smiths.

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...AndElectronics

Only the WiFi version though.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #7
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
It should also be pointed out that the Wifi feature of the new Kobo's can be completely ignored by anyone who doesn't want to use it. It is not intrusive (as you know) and is easily forgotten.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I almost never use the WiFi, but for folks in places that don't yet have the 1.8 desktop, the WiFi sync is much better. I would no longer buy the Kobo-1, not because of the WiFi, but because the hardware is much improved and it will, at some point, have features that will not be available on Kobo-1.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #9
Loubee

Ah well, if WH Smiths sell the Kobo then all is well! Have to say, although I have the wifi, I have never used it - I just make sure I have a couple of unread books so that I am not caught short.....
Old 01-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Chuffed? Brilliant! That's a delightful wee expresion from the highlands, isn't it?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Loubee

Haha...sorry SensualPoet, I came about as far away from the highland as you can get - southern girl through and through! I suppose I could use my daughters phrases...'hell cool' or 'sic'......
Old 01-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

chuffed is a pretty old Aussie expression

Well it may have been from elsewhere but we grabbed it as our own!

Loubee, my daughter and her partner (he is in the RAN) live in Waikiki down that way and my wife hails from Calista
Old 01-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
chuffed is a pretty old Aussie expression

Well it may have been from elsewhere but we grabbed it as our own!
@ sabredog

Isn't 'chuffed' a very-oh-so-English term???

which we have probably grabbed from them way back?
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I would have thought it was a British expression but these things are often not that straightforward.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #15
sabredog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasue View Post
@ sabredog

Isn't 'chuffed' a very-oh-so-English term???

which we have probably grabbed from them way back?
Too true!

A lot of our slang and the love of rhyming slang comes from cockney anyways