Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 07:03 AM   #46
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Ta
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:28 PM   #47
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Just uploaded the lrf version.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Just uploaded the lrf version.
Any chance of an ePub version? I prefer reading in ePub on my 505 then I do LRF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #49
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Any chance of an ePub version? I prefer reading in ePub on my 505 then I do LRF.
Jon,
I have no experience in ePub. My idea was to generate an ePub output using Calibre (or maybe Sigil), taking as input an HTML file generated with BD.
But I found that "notes and links" generated by BD don't work well when the file is in HTML format: you can go from the footnote to the body but not the other way round, making them useless.
This can be fixed on a one by one basis, but this book has 88 footnotes, so I am thinking of writing a small utility to do the trick (or maybe you can advise me otherwise).
Another option would be to upload in BD format for others to do it.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #50
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Jon,
I have no experience in ePub. My idea was to generate an ePub output using Calibre (or maybe Sigil), taking as input an HTML file generated with BD.
But I found that "notes and links" generated by BD don't work well when the file is in HTML format: you can go from the footnote to the body but not the other way round, making them useless.
This can be fixed on a one by one basis, but this book has 88 footnotes, so I am thinking of writing a small utility to do the trick (or maybe you can advise me otherwise).
Another option would be to upload in BD format for others to do it.
Use BD to make a PRC or LIT and run that through Calibre to make an ePub. At least it's worked well the couple times I've tried it. Although I've never tried it with that many links.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 12:29 AM   #51
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I prefer reading in ePub on my 505 then I do LRF.
Then stop playing politics and make yourself a conversion.

Epub is so little used anyway.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:28 AM   #52
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I am really glad it is LRF , because I cannot stand epub.
Maybe one day when they implement full justification in my ebook reader and the speed is equal or better than LRF in 505 I will reconsider my opinion. However, until then LRF is the way to read.

Pablo
Thanks a lot!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #53
Pablo
Guru

ePub more complicated than I thought

I've been trying to generate an ePub version of the book, with the BD HTML file as starting point.
Well, it seems that it's harder than I thought.
First, I tried converting using Calibre. Here the problem was with the size of the images. I could not make them fit in the screen, except for the cover, that is automatically adjusted. I tried resizing the images with The Gimp, but for some reason, in the output ePub file they appear larger than intended.
I gave Sigil a try, but the resulting file didn't work in my PRS-505 (showed a "page error").
This adds to the problem with notes and links I described before, though that one is easier to fix.
It seems that, for documents that are not text-only, ePub generation is far more complicated than lrf.
So unless someone out there can give me some advise on these issues, I think I will not be able to continue working in this book.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #54
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I've been trying to generate an ePub version of the book, with the BD HTML file as starting point.
Well, it seems that it's harder than I thought.
First, I tried converting using Calibre. Here the problem was with the size of the images. I could not make them fit in the screen, except for the cover, that is automatically adjusted. I tried resizing the images with The Gimp, but for some reason, in the output ePub file they appear larger than intended.
I gave Sigil a try, but the resulting file didn't work in my PRS-505 (showed a "page error").
This adds to the problem with notes and links I described before, though that one is easier to fix.
It seems that, for documents that are not text-only, ePub generation is far more complicated than lrf.
So unless someone out there can give me some advise on these issues, I think I will not be able to continue working in this book.
Did you try having BD generate a LIT and then converting the LIT to EPUB with Calibre like I suggested?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #55
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Did you try having BD generate a LIT and then converting the LIT to EPUB with Calibre like I suggested?
Yes, I tried. The first time I got an error "HTML to LIT conversion failed" and was directed to check "Use MS Word for LIT conversion". I did so, and after that tried to convert again. BD generated an HTML file and loaded it into Word (I have Word 2003). But word doesn't have a "Save as LIT" option, so I didn't know what to do.....
Old 09-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #56
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Did you remember to check the box in Calibre that resizes the images for palm devices? It may only be there for Mobi versions, but I find it reduces them nicely for the Kindle.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #57
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Did you remember to check the box in Calibre that resizes the images for palm devices? It may only be there for Mobi versions, but I find it reduces them nicely for the Kindle.
Not available for ePub output, at least in my version (0.5.8)
Old 09-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #58
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
You could always format the book by hand.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #59
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Not available for ePub output, at least in my version (0.5.8)
Perhaps if you created mobi first, then the epub from that, that might resize the pics?

I know he keeps updating all the conversion modules (but still find using mobicreator on the PDF gets a better starting point, often, rather than Calibre).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #60
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Perhaps if you created mobi first, then the epub from that, that might resize the pics?

I know he keeps updating all the conversion modules (but still find using mobicreator on the PDF gets a better starting point, often, rather than Calibre).
Kovid just released a new version of Calibre that converts LRF to ePub. I gave it a try and results were much better than in previous versions, but there was a problem with footnotes. I entered a ticket and am waiting for the next version.