Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
But you don't get the illustrations that way, which is what JSWolf is holding out for...
Exactly right. I want the full reading experience. Not just a part of it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #32
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Even more, from the legalese page where you got that graphic:

Quote:
"Reproduce" means to make copies of the Work by any means including without limitation by sound or visual recordings and the right of fixation and reproducing fixations of the Work, including storage of a protected performance or phonogram in digital form or other electronic medium.
Nothing about changing the format of the electronic medium. It's all about the content.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #33
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Exactly right. I want the full reading experience. Not just a part of it.
You could always pay the author and buy a copy of the paperback.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #34
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
You could always pay the author and buy a copy of the paperback.
There isn't one! There was a hardback, but it's long out of print.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #35
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry for the slow reply to this thread, our internet died and it's taken our ISP nearly 5 days to get it fixed. (Withdrawal symptoms were setting in!).

Not sure about the *exact* intent of the CC license, whether it includes the wrapper or not, but having talked with the author about this, her main concern is that text isn't tampered with and the authors are credited; otherwise, she wants as many people as possible to have the chance to read it, so the more formats and the more places it can be downloaded, the better.
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #36
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Sorry for the slow reply to this thread, our internet died and it's taken our ISP nearly 5 days to get it fixed. (Withdrawal symptoms were setting in!).

Not sure about the *exact* intent of the CC license, whether it includes the wrapper or not, but having talked with the author about this, her main concern is that text isn't tampered with and the authors are credited; otherwise, she wants as many people as possible to have the chance to read it, so the more formats and the more places it can be downloaded, the better.
Carandol,
The author's concern is understandable. That's why I asked instead of uploading my version right away. I am proof reading the book now (I found the "book" issue mentioned by badgoodDeb in this thread and other minor errors).
Maybe when I finish proof reading I could send you a copy in lrf format for the Sony Reader and an HTML version to be used as source for other formats. Then you could evaluate with the author the convenience of distributing it.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:32 AM   #37
carandol
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Carandol,
The author's concern is understandable. That's why I asked instead of uploading my version right away. I am proof reading the book now (I found the "book" issue mentioned by badgoodDeb in this thread and other minor errors).
Maybe when I finish proof reading I could send you a copy in lrf format for the Sony Reader and an HTML version to be used as source for other formats. Then you could evaluate with the author the convenience of distributing it.
Thanks for offering to do these versions. The corrected version of the PDF should be going up on the author's site soon, so you might want to use that for checking the proofreading, as it will hopefully then be the "definitive" copy. Once that's done, I think anyone can convert it to whatever format they choose without asking permission, we don't want to have to check every new file format that someone wants to do! Probably the best thing is to post them here when they're done.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #38
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for offering to do these versions. The corrected version of the PDF should be going up on the author's site soon, so you might want to use that for checking the proofreading, as it will hopefully then be the "definitive" copy. Once that's done, I think anyone can convert it to whatever format they choose without asking permission, we don't want to have to check every new file format that someone wants to do! Probably the best thing is to post them here when they're done.
Well, I don't think I will use the "definitive" copy, as that would imply starting the conversion process from scratch. So far I only found the "book" issue and some word separation errors, which I am correcting as I read. I also found some spelling differences between the body and the glossary, but I am not correcting those, as I have no knowledge of the language.
So, if that is acceptable to you and the author, I offer to upload here the version I am working on, once proof-read.

Of course I am making no changes to the text, nor to the license agreement and am not putting my name anywhere on the book, and authors are duly credited in the first page.

BTW, great book. I have little children and some parts of the story broke my heart (It is difficult for me to express my feelings, english is not my mother language).
Old 09-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #39
carandol
Evangelist

Quote:
Well, I don't think I will use the "definitive" copy, as that would imply starting the conversion process from scratch. So far I only found the "book" issue and some word separation errors, which I am correcting as I read. I also found some spelling differences between the body and the glossary, but I am not correcting those, as I have no knowledge of the language.
So, if that is acceptable to you and the author, I offer to upload here the version I am working on, once proof-read.

Of course I am making no changes to the text, nor to the license agreement and am not putting my name anywhere on the book, and authors are duly credited in the first page.

BTW, great book. I have little children and some parts of the story broke my heart (It is difficult for me to express my feelings, english is not my mother language).
That sounds OK, since starting from scratch would be no fun at all!

Yes, it is a good book. When I was transcribing it from the original hardback, there were places where I had to stop and wipe my eyes because I couldn't see the screen!
Old 09-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #40
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
That sounds OK, since starting from scratch would be no fun at all!

Yes, it is a good book. When I was transcribing it from the original hardback, there were places where I had to stop and wipe my eyes because I couldn't see the screen!
Ok, thank you very much. In a few days I will have the final lrf version ready for upload and after that I will make an HTML and ePub version.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #41
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
A moving story to be sure. As one who has researched some of his own family's losses via the holocaust, I admire and applaud the strength and tenacity of the extended Kanner family in coming to terms with their ordeal.
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:07 AM   #42
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
So, is it possible now to download the book in lrf format?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:14 AM   #43
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
So, is it possible now to download the book in lrf format?
If you refer to the version I am working on, it will be available in 3 or 4 days at most, as I am proofreading it (already covered 400 pages out of 600).
My version has TOC, images sized for a 6" screen, and links from the body to the glossary.
If you are interested just in the text, you can donwload the book in several formats, including lrf, from the website mentioned somewhere in this thread.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:17 AM   #44
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
If you refer to the version I am working on, it will be available in 3 or 4 days at most, as I am proofreading it (already covered 400 pages out of 600).
My version has TOC, images sized for a 6" screen, and links from the body to the glossary.
If you are interested just in the text, you can donwload the book in several formats, including lrf, from the website mentioned somewhere in this thread.
Yours!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #45
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Yours!
Originally, I intended to upload the lrf version as soon as I had delt with the images and glossary, but then I started reading it myself and found the "book" issue discovered by badgoodDeb and many word separation errors. In the meantime, I also optimised image sizes to fill the 505 screen. So wait a couple of days and you will have it.