Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #211
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by imabuddha View Post
Yes, that's a clear advantage Sony has. Amazon also has the 30 day trial period. However, I don't really want to buy from either of them.

The new Sony 300 has a good price, but lacks the sd card slot, which I really want to have. I also decided some years ago not to buy anything from them due to their declining quality & very poor treatment/lack of respect for their customers.

I don't want the kindle for several reasons:
  1. the small one doesn't support pdf (yes, I know they offer conversion)
  2. the dx is not very portable, and too expensive
  3. their ability & willingness to delete things from customer's devices without prior warning & consent
  4. no sd card slot
  5. big bezel & keyboard

I do admit that the new sony 300 is temping though...
I wasn't suggesting that you buy the Sony. I would not buy the 300 although the 600 is tempting. But the 300 is a good test screen for your questions. The Pocket Pro is much better than the 300 for the same price.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #212
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by imabuddha View Post
See the attached scans (lower resolution than the screen). Changing pages takes several seconds (should be faster on the Pocket Pro). The TOC of the PDF is accessible. A few pages don't display as 2 screens in landscape mode, but rather as one screen with a very small full page display.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZR_GO1h.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	34197   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZR_GO2h.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	34198   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZR_GO3h.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	34199  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #213
imabuddha
Electron Choreographer
imabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, PW2, Kobo Glo, Nook SimpleTouch, iPad, iPhone…
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Changing pages takes several seconds (should be faster on the Pocket Pro). The TOC of the PDF is accessible. A few pages don't display as 2 screens in landscape mode, but rather as one screen with a very small full page display.
Interesting. Seems legible in landscape, and barely so in portrait. For the books (not the magazines) it should work OK. I guess my biggest concern now is page change speed, which as you noted should be faster on the new model.

Thanks for doing this test!

Oh, one more quick question: how long does it take to open that large file?
imabuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:19 PM   #214
imabuddha
Electron Choreographer
imabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would not buy the 300 although the 600 is tempting. But the 300 is a good test screen for your questions. The Pocket Pro is much better than the 300 for the same price.
I agree, the 600 seems a better machine, but not 50% better IMHO. Dictionary is nice, but not that useful for me. (useless for image pdfs for example) The touchscreen would be great if it could be used like the Iliad to select an area to zoom into.

For the price the Pocket Pro seems pretty good. I like the fact that it supports many formats, as I do have some books in lit, djvu, chm, etc. However, I am concerned by some comments I've read that claim the rendering & robustness of some of these formats on the Hanlin units isn't up to par. It's also a shame that the reviews I've seen (of the older 6" model) have said that the plastics, buttons, etc. of the unit feel very cheap.

Perhaps if Apple does release a tablet/large ipod touch it would be better for me, but I'm sure the price will be >= $600.

Last edited by imabuddha; 08-14-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:53 AM   #215
DrBen
Landed Gentry
DrBen began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro - Maroon
[QUOTE=Robertb;553619]Dear ALL:

Of course it has font increase and MP3 stereo, and bookmarking and all the rest.

Robert,

When you say it has bookmarking, I assume you are referring to e-books. However, does it have bookmarking for audiofiles? If I am listening to an audiobook, then switch to a music file, then go back to the audiobook, will I start from where I left off?

Thanks. Can't wait for my Maroon P-Pro to arrive!
DrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 01:18 AM   #216
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Did you order a Slate Blue one?
black one, I really wasn't sure what color to pick, so black looked like a good option
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:19 AM   #217
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
While you can't see the Astak in a store you will be able to see the PRS-300. It will be carried by Target, Borders, Sony stores, Fry's and others. The behavior of ADE should be very nearly the same I would expect, so you could try it out. You can also get a rough idea on a pc by sizing the window appropriately although there are differences in the behavior. You have to use ADE.
that means that you have to pay tax for it ,while I am not paying tax on the pocket pro
Old 08-14-2009, 01:22 AM   #218
SDRebel
Addict

[QUOTE=DrBen;554126]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear ALL:

Of course it has font increase and MP3 stereo, and bookmarking and all the rest.

Robert,

When you say it has bookmarking, I assume you are referring to e-books. However, does it have bookmarking for audiofiles? If I am listening to an audiobook, then switch to a music file, then go back to the audiobook, will I start from where I left off?

Thanks. Can't wait for my Maroon P-Pro to arrive!
That's a very good feature, I hope it is supported
Old 08-14-2009, 01:52 AM   #219
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Is there a video (YouTube, maybe) yet showing the screen refresh rate?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:53 AM   #220
imabuddha
Electron Choreographer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
that means that you have to pay tax for it ,while I am not paying tax on the pocket pro
But unless Astak has free shipping you'll be paying for that, right?

In this price range tax & shipping are probably about the same, unless one opts for next day.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:41 AM   #221
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
Why not?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 AM   #222
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why not?
In the United States when ordering online, or from a catalog, you only have to pay tax if the place you buy from has a physical location in your state.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:46 AM   #223
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
When ordering online, or from a catalog, you only have to pay tax if the place you buy from has a physical location in your state.
Yes, but if you buy from out-of-state or online, don't you have to pay "use tax", which is the same amount that you would have paid in sales tax had you bought it in your own state?

Forgive me if my knowledge of the US tax system is inaccurate.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:11 AM   #224
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, but if you buy from out-of-state or online, don't you have to pay "use tax", which is the same amount that you would have paid in sales tax had you bought it in your own state?

Forgive me if my knowledge of the US tax system is inaccurate.
Yes, you are supposed to. But you don't really expect the "me me me" society of Americans to actually be honest, do you?
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:15 AM   #225
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Is there no check made from sales records to ensure that people are not avoiding tax payments?