Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2022, 09:00 PM   #1
Jeffrey.
Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Getting Notebooks off of the Scribe via USB without Internet?

I checked the Documents folder via USB and I don't see any of my hand written notebooks. Is emailing documents really the only option? Why should I have to be online? I don't want sensitive notes going through Amazon.
Jeffrey. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:16 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It appears that the Scribe uses proprietary Amazon formats for all of the new features. Notebook backgrounds are in KFX format and the drawings made on them appear to be stored as strokes in an SQLite database.

It would take a significant effort to reverse engineer all of that and develop software to produce something more standard such as PDF from it. It will probably take a Scribe owner who is a software developer with a distrust of Amazon to make that happen. It may be a while.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2022, 10:04 PM   #3
Jeffrey.
Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
I've made some progress. I'm running OSX and I enabled hidden files/folders in Finder. A folder called ".notebooks" appeared in the root of the Scribe, and while there's some work to do with the proprietary files I see, there is a thumbnail PNG of each page at 1860x2480ppx! So I guess that really solves it for now.
Jeffrey. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 10:10 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If you want to control even your ordinary ereader functions and have sensible local USB control of Collections, series, covers and annotations, forget a Kindle that's not jailbroken, and many versions can't be.

Only the reMarkable seems to be a poorer thought out eink with pen based note taking.

The Kobo Sage and Elipsa have four methods working by USB for Notebooks:
1) Copy the actual Nebo files to something else with Nebo
2) Exports as images in standard files.
3) Conversion to text and export a plain text file
4) Mixed content of converted text, converted shapes, converted maths and handwritten or freehand drawn as docx.

No WiFi ever needed. The Scribe has no writing, shape or maths conversion. Kobo sensibly bought in a package with good rep on iOS and Android. It uses Nebo.

Actual PDFs on Kobo seem to be annotated with an extra image layer, just copy the PDF back.

The epubs are best annotated with text. I've not investigated how drawn/handwritten annotation of epubs is exported as I've no interest.

I was seriously considering a Scribe for PDF proofing as it's 300 dpi vs 227 dpi, but it seems you can't use it without Amazon except as a reader only.

So I'll wait and buy a 300dpi version of the Elipsa, for now my 8″ Kobo Sage seems better than the Scribe to read ebooks and make/write notebooks. It's not bad for PDFs too now that the crop setting is remembered. So though I got the Elipsa first, I only use it for PDFs and freehand annotation of them. The Sage is a better size for writing or reading epubs.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-29-2022 at 10:13 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote