Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-21-2008, 01:17 AM   #1
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Does the PRS-505 support monospace fonts?

I'm thinking of getting a Sony PRS-505 mainly to read some technical ebooks that I have in HTML format. It seems that I can use a tool called Calibre (formerly libprs500) to convert from HTML to the reader's format. Has anyone done this successfully? Will monospaced fonts, such as for programming code, convert to monospace in the converted e-reader text? Will images show up inline with the text? What about bold, italic, underline, etc.

Also, is it possible or easy to embed fonts that support more than Latin-1? I would use this to mostly read English text but would also like to read text written in Esperanto and Icelandic.

I would very much like to avoid PDF solutions as an alternative.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:47 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You can download eBook Library and test how it would look on Reader. The only thing it does not show exactly is font support - on some systems it might display characters which are actually missing in Reader's fonts. You can check the real character list by using Character Map - check the fonts Swis721 BT, Dutch801 Rm BT and Courier10 BT.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert