Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #31
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I love you dearly, shel.

But naming ebook readers is one of those things that makes me nuts. Like naming personal parts of the body,

And I'd make sure I was in charge of the 'hit' so that I could be sure I'd just hit you with hug.......
Awww... you just gave me the warm fuzzies...

*hurries off to edit her profile and hopes DGma didn't notice the parenthesis by Asus....*
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:22 AM   #32
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
My K1 doesn't take long to boot up, at least not that I've noticed. Maybe 2 seconds from screen saver.

As for ''there is no need to carry all those books at one time''..........there is to me.

Its a secret, guilty pleasure. ("I got 'em all right here!!!)

Finding the books is like looking at a library wall.......sorted by author, you just cruise till you find what you want.

What could be better? Of course, if I'd stay off here more I'd get more reading done.
The reasons I gave were my reasons. I know I have all my books on my computer at home so I don't need them on my reader to remind me of that. If, while out of town, I absolutely just have to access a book I didn't put on my reader, I can just get on my netbook and go to my Carbonite backup to access the book.

One of the nice things about many electronic components is that people can use them any way they want. I prefer to just load the books I can read in the next few weeks on my reader. Others prefer to carry every book they own. It's all a matter of personal preference. Neither is right or wrong. Just because Dr. Drib prefers to have thousands of books he will probably never have time to read doesn't mean everyone should have that same preference. I happen to like chocolate (ok, crave it ). That doesn't mean everyone has to like it. Odd as it may sound, there are people who don't like chocolate.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 01:25 AM   #33
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
...Like naming personal parts of the body, ...
You mean you never named the girls?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:30 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Because more books causes the reader to take longer to boot up.
That's really only true for Sony Readers. For pretty much all other devices, the boot time is the same whether you have 1 book or 1000.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:32 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My K1 doesn't take long to boot up, at least not that I've noticed. Maybe 2 seconds from screen saver.
That is not "booting up"; it's simply waking up from a suspended state. Booting up on the Kindle is when you slide and hold the power switch until it, well, boots up .
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 05:15 AM   #36
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
AprilHare
You are bored. Long peaceful life on MR is too good for you and you are looking for a fight, aren't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's really only true for Sony Readers. For pretty much all other devices, the boot time is the same whether you have 1 book or 1000.
What do you mean?
It takes 1 second to turn on Sony Reader regardless of the number of books it has in its internal memory.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:22 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
What do you mean?
It takes 1 second to turn on Sony Reader regardless of the number of books it has in its internal memory.
It does, yes. The problem I was referring to is the "library scan" which occurs when you disconnect the USB connection, or boot the device from cold. That can take literally hours with a large number of books.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:36 AM   #38
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The problem I was referring to is the "library scan" which occurs when you disconnect the USB connection
Does it happen even if you use Reader Library to transfer ebook?
I have never had more than 100 books at any given time and I always use Reader Library to transfer the ebooks, so I don't know.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:38 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Does it happen even if you use Reader Library to transfer ebook?
Unfortunately it does, yes. With 100 books there's absolutely no problem, but I found with all my Sony Readers that once you got to about 400 or so, it became a significant problem.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:46 AM   #40
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Unfortunately it does, yes. With 100 books there's absolutely no problem, but I found with all my Sony Readers that once you got to about 400 or so, it became a significant problem.
Oh, I didn't know about it.
I wonder whether they have resolved/improved it on the latest batch of ebook readers.
Although, it would never be a problem for me because I don't need that many books on the reader. Even 100 are too many. Right now I have 92, 20 of them are on the reader for 2 years and I don't think I am going to read them any time soon (5 years?) .
Old 09-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #41
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Oh ! Look !

Mobileliseuse forums ......

Another comedy break - onwards ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #42
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post

If I *really* wanted to be obnoxious, I'd start a thread in the Llounge titled, "What is your liseuse's name?"
Brian (iLiad), Adrian (iPod Touch), Zelda (iPhone 3GS), and Ulysses (iPad).

The most books they've had on them is about 75-100. Ulysses currently only has only 11 though, as I'm making new covers for the Harvard Classics series, amongst others, before I send them to iBooks (or, rather, iTunes) from calibre.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #43
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I agree with you. It takes only a moment - a very quick moment - to boot up.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #44
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
If I do a device shutdown it takes AGES to start up again, with the rotating arrows icon, but if I just slide the power switch to turn the screen off it only takes about a second to come back on , if that!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Jon, you know you'd miss me
Probably.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote