Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Questions for those that don't re-read

In threads about DRM, some people say that they don't really care about it, because they don't re-read, so it doesn't matter to them if the DRM stops them being able to access their books at some point in the future.

With a few notable exceptions, I don't tend to re-read books, but it's important to me that I'm able to access them in the future. There are two reasons why:

1. I have a wife and two kids, and they might want to read some of my books at some point in the future.
2. I sometimes want to refer back to a book. For instance, I might vaguely remember a quote or some dialogue, and want to get the full quote. Also, I have quite a lot of reference and non-fiction, where being able to refer to the book is pretty much the point of having the book in the first place.

So, for those of you that don't care about DRM because you don't re-read books, do the above not matter to you? I'm not saying they should, I'm just curious.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Having access to reference work or certain non-fiction titles are obviously important. However, entertainment fiction is not something I would revisit. I have tried it and after a few pages I can sort of visualize the whole book again and that pretty much takes away the fun.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I very rarely re-read, but I still find the topic of DRM important. My reasoning is I don't want to lose access to a book I've bought but not yet read just because I decide to change my reader to a better eInk device or the company I bought the books from has gone bust/closed their DRM servers so I cannot activate on a new device. It's a little less important for me with fiction books that it is reference or software/music/games where I do re-read/watch frequently.

In reality, DRM doesn't impact me as I only buy products I know I can strip as soon as I've bought it. I only started buying from Amazon because of Alf. So it's more in principle than in practice that I object to DRM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Having access to reference work or certain non-fiction titles are obviously important. However, entertainment fiction is not something I would revisit. I have tried it and after a few pages I can sort of visualize the whole book again and that pretty much takes away the fun.
One of the great benefits of advancing age is that I can re-read detective stories, because I've forgotten the outcome!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^But how will you remember how you feel about a given author, say Dan Brown?

It's nice to have the books to look up quotes and such, but the Internet usually has most of the good ones on it.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I re-read frequently. Reading Captain Vorpatril's Alliance put me on a re-read/re-listen of favorite Bujold books, for example. Every 5 or so years, I go on a kick to re-read favorite Georgette Heyer books. sometimes I just want a comfort read, and will re-read the In Death books or other books by Nora Roberts.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One of the great benefits of advancing age is that I can re-read detective stories, because I've forgotten the outcome!
I look forward to that day Harry. I recently started reading Dialing M for Murder and after a chapter I began to realize that I read it some 17 years ago. Off course, in those days it was the Swedish translation, and the title in Swedish was different, so I never made the connection.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I don't usually reread unless by accident although I have reread some books I read 40 years ago.

DRM is an inconvenience, but I feel that many ebooks would not be legally available without it especially library books. I also think that epub and mobi books will be readable in the forseeable future either on a reader, computer app, tablet app or downloadable from the library. (My opinion only)

DRM reassures authors and publishers in a limited sense and of course is their choice to make, just as we have the choice to buy or not buy.

With so many laws being passed to protect rights holders, which I don't disagree with, it would be nice to see a law passed that would protect buyers against obsolete formats, such as ensuring that they would have a readable copy of purchased content for say 75 years.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I feel sorry for people who do not reread.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I feel sorry for people who do not reread.
Apache
There are two types of books that I read over and over again and never tire of:

1. The great classics, such as Dickens. Every time I re-read a Dickens novel I get something new from it.

2. What I'd call "comfort reading". In this category for me would be "The Lord of the Rings", and David Eddings' "Belgariad" series. I know them virtually off by heart, but they give me a warm fuzzy feeling every time I re-read them.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I'd have to say this sums it up for me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I look forward to that day Harry. I recently started reading Dialing M for Murder and after a chapter I began to realize that I read it some 17 years ago. Off course, in those days it was the Swedish translation, and the title in Swedish was different, so I never made the connection.
If I read something in Swedish, I'd never remember it. But then, I wouldn't know what I was reading in the first place.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm curious. A question for those who never re-read: do you also never listen to a piece of music more than once? If you do, what's the difference with a book?
Old 11-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I'm curious. A question for those who never re-read: do you also never listen to a piece of music more than once? If you do, what's the difference with a book?
I like music and videos more than I do books. Besides, music takes just a few minutes to get through and videos just a few hours. Whereas books take lots of hours or days to get through.

Additionally, text is not nearly as exiting as audio or video. While I rarely reread the same book, I will listen to an audiobook more than once.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Good question that deserves a better answer.
Yes, I listen to music again and again, but I don't expect to encounter anything new. I guess the familiarity is its appeal. And no, I don't watch movies or videos more than once. Knowing what will happen takes all the fun away, that is probably why I more or less has stopped watching Hollywood productions, they are just too predictable for my liking.