Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Post Which online bookstore has lowest prices for ebooks?

Anyone ever compared average ebook prices between Amazon, B & N and other sites? Who has the lowest prices?
Starko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Actually SmashWords and Amazon both have some good prices for some ebooks I think. Some are higher priced than others, but there are many that are only $0.99 or just a few dollars in price.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
It largely depends on what you are buying and whether or not you have to fuss with Agency Pricing.

I usually find Amazon to be the cheapest list price for my books, but I can often get a book cheaper at Kobo if they have a current discount code. There's a nice thread in the Kobo forum where they keep a current list of active codes.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
All very true but here are some resources for you - inkmesh.com. Agency pricing means that publishers set prices not book stores which means no competition. Many of the companies that I deal with are not a part of that such as Golden Eagle.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If you use Calibre, their "Get books" feature compares prices at a wide variety of on-line stores. I know that Publishers adjust prices regularly and their adjustments then appear in the on-line stores without any action on the part of the store. When there are different prices in the list price (which may or may not be the price being sold), that then impacts the price shown, which often has set a % discount (not talking about agency pricing).

I think that, at least some of the time, publishers try different price points at different outlets to see what happens.

Last edited by taming; 06-29-2011 at 08:28 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
another $25 off $75 in my box this morning (and, yeah, I did get another $55 Wi-Drive)...
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Amazon seems to have very good prices but I have not checked all bookstores so I cannot say this for sure.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
http://luzme.com

Allows you to set up a wishlist & a maximum price. You'll then receive email alerts once your specified book drops to the price your willing to pay.

It also allows customised store lists so you only receive alerts for price changes at stores you by from.
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I second luzme.com. It's great.
Amazon prices seem to be the lowest of them all.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
There are several web sites that all you to search for the cheapest seller of an eBook. Since I have not bought an eBook in many months, I can't give any recommendations on what is now best, but here are three I found googling with this search:

ebook price search

http://inkmesh.com/

http://leatherbound.me/

This one was already mentioned:
http://luzme.com/readers
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starko View Post
Anyone ever compared average ebook prices between Amazon, B & N and other sites? Who has the lowest prices?
This also depends a lot on where you are. For me, if BooksOnBoard has the book I want (they don't always), it's invariably considerably cheaper than Kobo, even when BoB are not doing a bigger-than-usual sale (often cheaper than Kobo with 30-35% off coupons), and considerably cheaper than Amazon, generally by ~$4-6 per book even without counting the rewards BoB dollars.

That's if I'm logged in with my actual, real address everywhere, including on Amazon. If I country-hop to France or Austria on Amazon, then Amazon prices are more or less equal to BoB prices (where I don't need to country-hop for them or pretend to live somewhere else).

I imagine it's different for others and will depend on whether the shop adds their local VAT to the prices (Amazon and Kobo add VAT - Amazon seems to add 15% while Kobo adds the correct 20% for Estonia; I don't think BoB adds anything, although I may be wrong), whether Agency pricing is relevant for the country or not (in my case, not), and whether Amazon adds the $2 surcharge per (almost every) book in their country or not.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yapyap, how do you country-hop? By chnaging the country on the Manage your Kindle page, or is there anything else you do?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Yapyap, how do you country-hop? By chnaging the country on the Manage your Kindle page, or is there anything else you do?
Changing the country on the Manage your Kindle page, yeah. You just need a real address in your target country. And I'm not sure how important this is, but I always make sure I have plenty of funds on my gift card balance so that anything I buy from outside my home address won't be taken off my credit card (that will have a different billing address).

I do it mostly for geo-restricted books and those that I can't buy elsewhere, but as long as Amazon is charging me $2 extra per books (when I neither have nor plan to get a 3G capable Kindle, so it's not like I'm costing them money for 3G book downloads or browsing), I've stopped feeling guilty for doing it. It's got some risks involved, of course, i.e. Amazon might notice at some point.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
xendula
eBookworm

How do they justify charging you an extra $2 per book? What do they call the extra charge? And to tie this conversation in with the topic at hand:some kindle books are cheaper in other countries.

BTW, yapyap, we read many of the same books this year

Last edited by xendula; 11-26-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
It isn't Amazon, it is the usurious rates that telcos charge for mobile data 'international roaming' - like their bandwidth is made of platinum.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote