Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Nexus 7: Is lack of SD card port a deal breaker for you?

I think that for the price it's a reasonable amount of storage, and it's got a lot of power. Only having a movie or two at a time doesn't really bother me considering the amount of money you save over a comparable device.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Big deal for me. Two to three movies on a vacation without wifi won't cut it. I may as well leave the tablet at home. And if I'm leaving it at home, then why buy it in the first place?

But, it's supposed to have host USB capability. I'll wait until someone successfully attaches a USB stick or mSD card to it and plays the content before making a decision.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I couldn't even put all my Rifftrax movies I've bought on it, much less music.

And streaming isn't an option for me.

Heck, I have a 16 gig PSP and it's full. That's a 7 year old device (8 almost).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Big deal for me. Two to three movies on a vacation without wifi won't cut it. I may as well leave the tablet at home. And if I'm leaving it at home, then why buy it in the first place?

But, it's supposed to have host USB capability. I'll wait until someone successfully attaches a USB stick or mSD card to it and plays the content before making a decision.
Agree. Samsung 2 tablet has mSD card slot and even screen has less resolution it looks as better choice for me.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
While not a 100% deal breaker, it would put it way down the list if/when I was shopping for a tablet. It'd also be nice if it had HDMI out.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #6
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
For me personally, the lack of an SD card slot is a deal breaker. My rooted Kindle Fire pretty much does all that the Nexus 7 can do. And my $80 7" Polaroid ICS tablet (w/microSD and video-out) have confirmed to me the importance of having removable media capabilities.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, it's a big deal. I think the Samsung Tab 2 7.0 is a better deal, even though it is a little more expensive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:18 AM   #8
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote.
At least for now.

Chose this, though I should say I'd have major doubts about buying because of the lack of micro SD. What did Google save by not adding this? A buck?

I do want a 7" tablet even though I have my Asus Tran (Original), for portability. I also want an MS Surface. And World Peace. Sigh...
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
We should all vote (with our wallets) against companies that try selling us less functionality for the same or more money. It would not have been impossible to put a microSD slot into the case and it would have cost just pennies more. And the same tablet with such a slot would have been a better tablet, even if there are some who will never need an expansion slot.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Once I found out the the Nexus 7 had USB OTG, the lack of an on-board card slot was absolutely not an issue. There is a nice video demonstrating how that works here: http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/03/09...strated-video/.

I routinely carry a 500 GB portable drive with me, so it's not anything new or onerous to use that sort of thing, if I ever need it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I doubt that a hard disk will work - the power requirements would be too great. USB-OTG is designed for USB sticks, not power-hungry devices like hard disks.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Besides, if I wanted to walk around with a tablet and a USB hard drive I would take my laptop. Easier to carry and more useful. Even a USB stick with a dongle is quite a hassle, and gets easily lost or misplaced.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I doubt that a hard disk will work - the power requirements would be too great. USB-OTG is designed for USB sticks, not power-hungry devices like hard disks.
To add to my previous post, a little research removes the doubt: OTG adaptors work with low-power devices only. A USB stick or a mouse works. A keyboard or a hard disk drive (unless separately powered) don't.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
It's appealing, but the lack of a card slot really changes our tune and makes us more hesitant to consider it. I didn't vote yet because I said, "undecided". We probably are going to wait until the new year (our wedding anniversary is a few days after the new year) anyway.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My point was not that I would necessarily use that drive, but rather that the idea that I might have to connect storage was not off-putting. Folks are apparently also using larger drives with USB powered hubs.

99.9% of the time 8 GB will be fine. If I am going someplace where I have no WiFi access and I want to watch movies all day long, I'll be able to do that, even if it means copying files from my BIG portable drive onto a memory stick (oh the horrors).

Not everyone needs or uses large amounts of built in storage.

Last edited by taming; 06-29-2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: More info
taming is offline   Reply With Quote