Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
For those with side loaded browsers

Which side loaded browser do you find the best? I know some people have Opera, is anyone using Dolphin Browser HD?
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
74Cuda
MaxPuppy Rules
74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 8.9 HDX Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Acer A200
I believe you will find the answer in the *stickys* along with a ton of other valuable information.
74Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks very much! I'll go have a look.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Which side loaded browser do you find the best? I know some people have Opera, is anyone using Dolphin Browser HD?
I prefer Opera Mobile but others like Dolphin Mini. I use Silk and Opera the most.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
If you have chosen to side load a browser what advantages do you see to a side loaded browser over the native silk? Personally I am happy with silk but I can understand why one would want a sideloaded browser.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Thanks so much, Blossom. You're always so helpful.

Jbcohen - I have heard Opera is faster and I also prefer the way Opera doesn't don't have the bar at the bottom, it gives you a bit more of the screen. Opera is the main one that I have read about which is why I was wondering about the others.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I use Opera in part because I prefer the navigation (buttons at the top, "dialpad" for favorites, etc) and I actually like the fact that it registers as a "mobile browser" so you see the mobile version of a website which tends to load quicker. It does have some problems like programming the dial buttons is jinky and I think you have to install some plugins for it to work with some websites, youtube, etc.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
janicew
Enthusiast
janicew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire
I had Dolphin Mini installed for a while but after the recommedation here to install Opera Mobile I went with that. I prefer it for its speed, but the biggest reason I opted for a side-loaded browser was my library's web site for Overdrive lending. For some reason on Silk, the login would not work correctly, but did in Dolphin ad Opera. I mean, if I want to borrow Kindle books, I want to do it from my Kindle Fire for pete's sake! LOL!
janicew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
Ticallion
Connoisseur
Ticallion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
I haven't tried Opera yet, but Dolphin HD is top notch. I especially like how you can slide right to open bookmarks, then slide left to open add-ons for something like user agent switching.
Ticallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can always install both and give them both a try.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Opera Mobile uses a lot of App storage (over 20 MB) compared to Dolphin which uses about 5 MB. I like Dolphin because in addition to being a full featured browser it allows me to go Full Screen which I couldn't figure out with Opera Mobile. Plus, Dolphin offers suggestions in the web address bar which I found lacking in Opera Mobile. In my opinion Dolphin seems faster than Opera Mobile. I really like Opera Mini which is on par with Dolphin for speed but it lacks Flash. What I really like about Dolphin is that it allows me to set gestures for quick loading of webpages. For example, if I like to go to Amazon all I have to do is draw and A on the screen and to Amazon I go.

Firefox 8 is kind of nice and Firefox 9 was recently released a few days ago although I haven't been able to find it yet outside the Android Market. Miren is another browser that is pretty nice although it lacks big name recognition.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-22-2011 at 01:00 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Opera Mobile uses a lot of App storage (over 20 MB) compared to Dolphin which uses about 5 MB. I like Dolphin because in addition to being a full featured browser it allows me to go Full Screen which I couldn't figure out with Opera Mobile. In my opinion Dolphin seems faster than Opera Mobile. I really like Opera Mini which is on par with Dolphin for speed but it lacks Flash. Firefox 8 is kind of nice because it allows me to synch bookmarks and Firefox 9 was recently released although I haven't been able to find it yet outside the Android Market. Miren is another browser that is pretty nice although it lacks big name recognition.
Turn off status bar in settings to get full screen in Opera Mobile.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #13
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Turn off status bar in settings to get full screen in Opera Mobile.

Thanks. While this is close to Full Screen the address bar remains. In Dolphin when I go Full Screen it is Full Screen, everything including the address bar disappears. All I have to do is touch Menu which brings up the address bar and type in an address and Dolphin goes to the webpage and back to true full screen mode. Also, I like Dolphin HD's Webzine feature which allows me to "subscribe" to hundreds of magazines ad free.

Like I said, I really like Opera Mini and I use it on one of my other tablets which doesn't support Flash anyway. I really like the way it renders pages quickly and bigger for easier reading. Of course I can change the text size and default zoom in Dolphin but it doesn't seem to do as good a job as Opera Mini at closer zoom ins.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-22-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #14
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I can't believe how long it took me to find the font size setting in Dolphin HD. I didn't realize you had to scroll up in the settings window to see the selection. Silly me, I thought the list of options started at the top of the list not part way down.

It was a frustrating couple of minutes
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #15
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I can't believe how long it took me to find the font size setting in Dolphin HD. I didn't realize you had to scroll up in the settings window to see the selection. Silly me, I thought the list of options started at the top of the list not part way down.

It was a frustrating couple of minutes

The Settings layout takes some getting used to. It uses drop downs for each setting area (e.g. Dolphin Settings, Page Content Settings etc.). So if you were to open a drop down like Webzine Settings you would have to scroll down to actually see those settings. The Dolphin Mini Settings menu is a little easier to navigate.