Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
Techbar
TechnoGeek
Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Likebook Mars, Boox Kepler Pro, InkBook Obsidian
Font in book view

I'm experimenting (ie learning) with converting a plain text file to an epub book. Because it is a text file there are no fonts specified in the document and Sigil seems by default to show the text in a sans-serif font when in the book view pane. I prefer a serif font when reading but havent found anywhere I can change to this. It's not a problem when the file is in my Kobo because I can specify the font in the reader - I just want to be able to change the default font in Sigil to make my proof reading easier. Is there anywhere I can do this? I haven't managed to find it if there is.
Techbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:09 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You have to change that in the stylesheet. If you want to do it for the whole document, put it in a body specification.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
To expand a bit on the comment made by Toxaris and I can only vouch for this on Windows systems.

Apparently Sigil will use the Windows font files to display the text in "book view" if it is specified in the css. It is not necessary to have the font files present in the ebook itself.

I insert the following line in the <body> definition:

font-family: Times New Roman; (pick one)

I remove it on the last pass since there are no font files present and it might cause problems for those few ereaders that support in line fonts.

If you are not using Windows you can try it and see what happens - it can't hurt.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is not required to actually name a font. Just:
Code:
body {
font-family: serif;
}
is enough.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Will doing that with a non-embedded font trigger the dreaded QTWebKit bug?
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
No, WebKit's problems with italics and bold only extend to fonts embedded in the epub (and there are hopeful signs that it might finally be fixed with the release of Qt 4.8). You won't have this problem if you use a generic font-family or specify a system font name.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
It is not required to actually name a font. Just:
Code:
body {
font-family: serif;
}
is enough.
Thanks. That is a handy bit of info I can put to use now. This makes it easy to go back and forth (serif/sans serif).

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
No, WebKit's problems with italics and bold only extend to fonts embedded in the epub (and there are hopeful signs that it might finally be fixed with the release of Qt 4.8). You won't have this problem if you use a generic font-family or specify a system font name.
I did look into the status of that bug a while back, and saw that it was something like "We've decided to forego fixing the bug in favor of rewriting the entire fonts API." I'm not a programmer though, so although I could see that somebody was doing work I wasn't terribly sure what the work was or what it meant.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:29 AM   #9
Techbar
TechnoGeek
Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Many thanks one and all. I'm off to learn a bit more about style sheets and definitions (and html in general) The file has been converted from raw text so Sigil hasn't created any styling - it's all up to me now... I had hoped that Sigil might have had a place where you could define what default font it would use for display (just like my e-reader does) but it doesn't seem like that is the case. Still, for version 0.4 (and free) it's pretty good and fairly intuative to use.
Regards
James
Old 09-07-2011, 05:33 AM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard

Actually, why would Sigil do that? By default your reader has a serif and a non-serif font and sometimes more. An ePUB will refer to the default serif or non-serif font. If you want another font, you either have to include it in the ePUB or specify it on the reader. The latter is usually not possible.
The display in Sigil is not intended as a reading option.
BTW, Sigil will not create any styling for you. That's up to you and actually a big strength of the program.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techbar View Post
Many thanks one and all. I'm off to learn a bit more about style sheets and definitions (and html in general) The file has been converted from raw text so Sigil hasn't created any styling - it's all up to me now... I had hoped that Sigil might have had a place where you could define what default font it would use for display (just like my e-reader does) but it doesn't seem like that is the case. Still, for version 0.4 (and free) it's pretty good and fairly intuative to use.
Regards
James
For (raw) TXT files, I usually run them through Calibre first, then touch the result up with Sigil. Saves a whole lot of work
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
For (raw) TXT files, I usually run them through Calibre first, then touch the result up with Sigil. Saves a whole lot of work
This is the best route to go. calibre has very good and advanced detection for paragraphs and formatting. Combined with heuristic processing you can get about 85 - 90% formatted.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #13
Techbar
TechnoGeek

Quote:
Actually, why would Sigil do that?
purely for the convenience/comfort of the user while checking the book creation. Some of us find a serif font is easier to follow accross the page (there is a reason why books are usually printed with serif fonts!).

Quote:
BTW, Sigil will not create any styling for you. That's up to you and actually a big strength of the program.
Don't have a problem with that - I have to use MS Word etc at work and get constantly frustrated when it keeps wanting to do things I don't want it to do!

I'm a comms tech by trade, don't know much about html - just have to learn something new.

James
Old 09-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techbar View Post
purely for the convenience/comfort of the user while checking the book creation. Some of us find a serif font is easier to follow accross the page (there is a reason why books are usually printed with serif fonts!).
The problem is of course that if you can set a DISPLAY font for Sigil, a lot of people will expect that font to be in the ePUB when they put it on there reader. Actually, I find a serif font easier to read than non-serif in a book. However, the default will depend on the reader application. That is the reason that I always set the font-family to serif. It is easy and does the job.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:13 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
That is the reason that I always set the font-family to serif. It is easy and does the job.
But with the Cybook Orizon, for example, that overrides the font selected by the user, so use with care
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote