Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
TOucan
TOucan began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Switching fonts from Sans to Serif

To: Experienced iLiad users
I posted this question on the iRex forum but have received no response, so I'll try it here.
As a new iLiad user I'd appreciate if someone could tell me how to switch fonts to read text files. The iRex Forum FAQ Topic area in the Sticky:FAQ:Fonts says,
1. Which fonts are currently supported?
Vera Sans, Vera Sans Mono, Vera Serif and MS Hei.

Thats great to know, but nowhere can I find how I actually choose which one I want to use. I seem to be stuck in the Vera Sans Serif mode and I'd like to be able to switch to the Vera Serif.
I thought that this capability might be limited to a particular file format, but I have tried to find a way to change fonts when reading both txt and prc files but with no luck. The group of icons on the bottom left of the page has two icons for increasing and decreasing font size and these work, but there is an icon just to the left of these two which looks as if it might be font-related but it is always greyed out.
There is no mention of any of this in any of the manuals!!?? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
TOucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:12 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
There is no way to change it on the iLiad software at the moment. I do not know, if there are settings in the books, which trigger different font styles.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2007, 07:16 AM   #3
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOucan View Post
...I'd like to be able to switch to the Vera Serif.
I thought that this capability might be limited to a particular file format, but I have tried to find a way to change fonts when reading both txt and prc files but with no luck. ...
Both prc and txt are handled by MobiPocket. And, as tribble has said, there is no sane way (for now).

[crazy mathod follows, just for information]
If you have the reflash option, you may be able to interchange the VeraSe (serif) and the normal font (Vera) in the following directory (also the VeraBd and VeraSeBd), but I won't dare to do it (it may have a lot of undesirable effects or even make the iliad not able to boot):

/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-western-default/
[end of crazy method]

Summing it up, the best option is to wait until they make the font user-selectable.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
TOucan
TOucan began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
Both prc and txt are handled by MobiPocket. And, as tribble has said, there is no sane way (for now).

[crazy mathod follows, just for information]
If you have the reflash option, you may be able to interchange the VeraSe (serif) and the normal font (Vera) in the following directory (also the VeraBd and VeraSeBd), but I won't dare to do it (it may have a lot of undesirable effects or even make the iliad not able to boot):

/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-western-default/
[end of crazy method]

Summing it up, the best option is to wait until they make the font user-selectable.
Thanks to you and tribble for responding to my question.
I sincerely hope that this is an issue on the development team's action list, particularly as the iRex FAQ certainly would lead the unsuspecting to believe that the capability exists.
TOucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I do know, that the font issue is on iRex todolist. But i dont know, what priority it has.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert