Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 02:54 AM   #1
Mr Moony
Mr Moony began at the beginning.

Device: none
Buying my first ebook reader

So I've finally decided to get an ebook reader, now the question is which..

I'll be reading a lot of text based books and I am on a tight budget so an eink reader is the obvious choice(also its superb battery life is a strong point). Out of 10 books I read one or two might be PDFs. So any eink device which has some pdf viewing capabilities should be fine. I am leaning towards Kindle PW(it also has lighting feature). By the way can calibre render text based PDFs into mobi/epub?

Also, I live in India so I will get it shipped from a friend of mine from the US. Would that cause any problems? While registering the device or anything else?

Thanks!
Mr Moony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, the Kindle PW would be a good choice (with the usual warnings that PDF is not an eBook format, etc etc etc). No problems with buying in the US and using in India.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:53 AM   #3
Skillganon
Connoisseur
Skillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony prs 600 and T2
Sony T2 uses pdf and epub as formats. Calibre can convert almost any format to a different format.
Only problem you will have is drm, you cannot convert a drm locked book and the kindle does not read epub or pdf files
Skillganon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wrong - the Kindle does support PDF. But no 6" device will display PDFs well. Text-only PDFs, though, can be converted reasonably well to either ePub or Mobi formats.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
Mr Moony

Thanks for the quick reply guys!
Ideally I would like to buy a high resolution 10" tab like Nexus 10 for reading(PDFs) but at the moment I dont have the money to buy it. And anyways I need a dedicated e-ink device for epubs/mobi. As for reading graphic based PDFs on 6" eink goes, I'll have to be a bit patient(panning, zooming and potrait mode) but thats compromise I guess.
And I would've selected PRS-T1 for the PDF capabilities but no backlight. I plan to read a lot in the night and the lamp case design looks cumbersome.
Just to make it clear, I don't have to set any account with Amazon to make the device work, right? Because I'll be opening the box in India.
Also, do you guys get a 'low memory warning' when you open a graphic based big PDF file?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There are advantages to registering the Kindle with Amazon, and there's absolutely no problem in having an "amazon.com" account if you're in India. But you don't have to do so, no, although I would recommend it.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Pdf's are readable on e-ink but it's not really recommended at least not by me, I'd say the Sony devices do the best job but a small tablet would do a much better one.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
Mr Moony

Thanks HarryT, I do have one. @Teknikal, I think buying a small tab for Pdf's wouldn't solve the problem. I'd still have to zoom and pan. It'd just be a lot smoother. I prefer the mega battery life of eink over a small tab.
Another little question, is there a different case available for the Kindle PW? $40 case for a $120 device is a bit grand! Is something available with similar quality, build and functionality for somewhere around $20?
Links would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Mr Moony; 01-02-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
Mr Moony

Also, does anyone know when the next Nook eink with light is going to be released?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Moony View Post
Another little question, is there a different case available for the Kindle PW? $40 case for a $120 device is a bit grand! Is something available with similar quality, build and functionality for somewhere around $20?
There's a thread in the Kindle section of the forum about alternatives with a link in the very first post for a case on ebay at $12. People seem pretty happy with them (though they are clearly not as good quality as the official cases), here's a link to a post from that thread showing some photos of one that someone bought.

Thread - Slim Paperwhite case alternative
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #11
Ayla7
Connoisseur
Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD
If you are interested in viewing pdfs in a small e-reader device, take a look at the Onyx Boox forum: I have an Onyx Boox i62HD, and the online store "ereader store" provides a firmware very intended to read pdfs. I read a lot of scientific papers and I'm happy with it. It has a "paper mode" wich makes easier reading two (or more) columns documments with less panning.

They reader comes with case and charger.
Ayla7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Moony View Post
Also, does anyone know when the next Nook eink with light is going to be released?
Like a Nook Glow 2? I don't know if there's a plan for that. The Nook Glow isn't that old.

If your choice is lit Nook vs. lit Kindle, then I think you should choose between what's available now. Is the B&N store able to be used in India? I would choose one where you can access an online store. The Amazon store has a lot of free/cheap books available. Or are you never planning to use a store? It seems like at least having the option available would be helpful as far as flexibility goes.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
If your choice is lit Nook vs. lit Kindle, then I think you should choose between what's available now. Is the B&N store able to be used in India?
No, it can't be.