Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
yafray
yafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo glo
Kobo Glo and side loaded epub

Hi,

I am planning to buy the kobo glo. It will be my first ereader.
But I would like to know if the limitations on side loaded epub (highlight, annotations, bookmarks, etc...) are still there.
I am also wondering if some of you are reading technical book (like oreilly) with it : does the screen size (using the smallest readable font) can contain as much as 80% of content of a page of a paperback book ?

Thank you for your answers and excuse me for my poor english !
yafray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by yafray View Post
Hi,

I am planning to buy the kobo glo. It will be my first ereader.
But I would like to know if the limitations on side loaded epub (highlight, annotations, bookmarks, etc...) are still there.
Sideloads have been treated generally equally for a quite a while now. The only thing that really is different is that they won't sync between devices (this is a privacy issue since Kobo doesn't know what books you have that you haven't bought from them, so don't expect that anytime soon).

I'll let someone with experience with with O'Reily books comment on them because they seem to be a bit of a different beast to most.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
yafray
yafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura aboutyafray has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Sideloads have been treated generally equally for a quite a while now. The only thing that really is different is that they won't sync between devices (this is a privacy issue since Kobo doesn't know what books you have that you haven't bought from them, so don't expect that anytime soon).

I'll let someone with experience with with O'Reily books comment on them because they seem to be a bit of a different beast to most.
Thank you very much for your answer !
yafray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Sideloads have been treated generally equally for a quite a while now.

Could you define how long "quite a while is"? Up until a week ago, officially, EPubs were much, much slower then kepubs (along with other differences), unless you were one of the few who got an official post 2.0.0 release. IMO, epubs have always been a second class citizens for Kobo (at least on the Touch).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
There's always been support for ePub files - it's more that they've finally improved the software to account for differences in versions of the standard and how the reader handles books that don't strictly follow it.

MOBI and LIT seemed more standard as far as the file contents went - I've seen ePub files that render five different ways between five devices, just because ePub is more a container than it is a set of guidelines about how books have to be created and rendered.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Another difference between kobo books and sideloaded books is the way the page numbers are displayed.
- kobo books show <chapter title> - page # of total pages for that chapter
- sideloaded books show page of total pages of book
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote