Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #271
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
No, a built-in card reader must be part of the basic device. What you said is like saying that having a heater in your car is somehow optional. It isn't.
A heater? LOL, it would be trivial to be happy with a car with no heater where I live. The mandatory piece of gear here is a working air conditioner.

See?
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #272
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
A heater? LOL, it would be trivial to be happy with a car with no heater where I live. The mandatory piece of gear here is a working air conditioner.

See?
I was going to mention that while I lived in LA, I knew several people who happly lived with no heater in their cars, but it IS indeed a standard and expected feature. A car not being SOLD with a heater would be akin to a tablet not having, oh, 3d graphics, or a touch screen, or something like that. I simply don't see an sd card in that class at all.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 07-13-2012 at 11:28 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #273
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
No, a built-in card reader must be part of the basic device.
Tell that to Apple. The iPad is not doing that bad without a card reader.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #274
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Nor does the number two tablet, the Fire. (pretty sure that position is still accurate....)

But this observation just seems to yield an "Everyone's lost but me!" response from some.
That is a motive that you are imputing to those folks. From what I've read in this thread (I'm not following it closely) those who believe that an SD card slot is a high priority have given reasons why they hold that belief. Those who believe that an SD card slot is not a necessity, also explain why.

I haven't seen any posts claiming or implying that their position is superior over the other. It's about personal preferences... but again, when people get emotionally invested in a technology, gadget, or company, things go askew.

This is the internet, so I'm not surprised that this non-debate continues on.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #275
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
That is a motive that you are imputing to those folks. From what I've read in this thread (I'm not following it closely) those who believe that an SD card slot is a high priority have given reasons why they hold that belief. Those who believe that an SD card slot is not a necessity, also explain why.

I haven't seen any posts claiming or implying that their position is superior over the other. It's about personal preferences... but again, when people get emotionally invested in a technology, gadget, or company, things go askew.

This is the internet, so I'm not surprised that this non-debate continues on.
No, if the issue was as you state, there'd be no debate, just a statement of preference.
The debate is that one side sees it as an option and a buying choice. The other sees it as a failing and a design flaw and waste of money.

ApK
Old 07-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #276
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
A tablet without a card slot is like a monkey without a banana
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #277
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
A tablet without a card slot is like a monkey without a banana
Poetic. I think that was on my SATs.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #278
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
"Missing features??" Ridiculous. Where's the video projector? Where's the night vision? The coffee machine?

It's not 'missing' anything.
When even $150 tablets can have microSD slots (the Aluratek CinePad 7" comes to mind - if it weren't for the 800x480 screen, it'd actually be a damned good little device), the lack of it in more expensive offerings DOES count as a missing feature. Hell, pretty much every tablet that isn't an iPad, Kindle Fire, or the first generation of Galaxy Tabs (and now the Nexus 7) has one.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #279
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Be careful, MicroSD cards are really not tough at all. Seriously. You may have been lucky, but they are made to be inserted into a device and stay there, protected, as much as possible!
Yeah, but there's no problem if you accidentally knock it off your desk, unlike with a portable HD...
Old 07-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #280
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
You haven't seen posts like this:?
Quote:
I see the success of devices without an expansion slot are the result of marketing campaigns that managed to pull wool over people's eyes, convincing them that this is not needed.
Sounds quite a lot like "Everyone's lost but me!"
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #281
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
When even $150 tablets can have microSD slots (the Aluratek CinePad 7" comes to mind - if it weren't for the 800x480 screen, it'd actually be a damned good little device), the lack of it in more expensive offerings DOES count as a missing feature. Hell, pretty much every tablet that isn't an iPad, Kindle Fire, or the first generation of Galaxy Tabs (and now the Nexus 7) has one.
So every tablet except all the successful ones
The question isn't whether an SD card would be a useful feature, it is about the claim that an SD card is a basic feature without which a tablet is worthless.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #282
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Hell, pretty much every tablet that isn't an iPad, Kindle Fire, or the first generation of Galaxy Tabs (and now the Nexus 7) has one.
And yet, somehow these three are all big sellers... Go figure...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #283
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
So every tablet except all the successful ones
The question isn't whether an SD card would be a useful feature, it is about the claim that an SD card is a basic feature without which a tablet is worthless.
The ones with store lock-in (can be gotten around, but normal users won't bother) and a crapton of propaganda/advertising behind them that either omit their deficiencies or (in the case of Apple) attempts to paint their missing features as assets, plus the ones whose maker corrected their error in the next version (coincidentally, the only one of the four mentioned without their own store or cloud).
Old 07-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #284
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
No, if the issue was as you state, there'd be no debate, just a statement of preference.
The debate is that one side sees it as an option and a buying choice. The other sees it as a failing and a design flaw and waste of money.
ApK
I don't think anyone disputed that it was a business decision, but it was a decision *not to offer an option* that is important to large numbers of people.

I'm cool with those who are satisfied with depending on the cloud services, but I can't see this as anything other than a downgrade, and the reasons given for it are a little insulting.

I think it is simply a matter of companies wanting us to depend on their clouds.
And that's Fair enough -- just be fair and open about it.

I don't think it helps for Google reps to give us silly reasons for it, or for anyone to accuse consumers of whining about the loss of something that is already passe' and unneeded -- even in 8gb [4gb usable] wifi-only devices without USB-OTG

Good news is that my Samsung Galaxy tab 2 arrives today!

I'm so glad Samsung made the business decision not to leave another company to be the better option for so many of us.

No more trying to mobileread on my little iPhone!

Last edited by Piper_; 07-13-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: cleaning up mess from iphone input.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #285
LarryT63
LarryT63 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
@Apk, that's not my point.... that's why I said "I don't see why" I didn't say "why can't people understand"
LarryT63 is offline   Reply With Quote