Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #256
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Getting less but not paying less, what a great deal . You really got me there. How could I miss that?
The Fire costed less then any comparable tablet with the additional hardware when it came out.
The Nexus 7 still does.
So what the heck are you going on about?!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #257
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The Fire costed less then any comparable tablet with the additional hardware when it came out.
The Nexus 7 still does.
So what the heck are you going on about?!
I paid $350 for my (Android) Tablet but it is a 10'' and has bot a USB port and an SD slot. It is my only personal computer. I got a good Bluetooth keyboard to go with but I don't really use that as much as I thought I would. If I ever write again (I haven't in years), I might use it.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #258
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I paid $350 for my (Android) Tablet but it is a 10'' and has bot a USB port and an SD slot. It is my only personal computer. I got a good Bluetooth keyboard to go with but I don't really use that as much as I thought I would. If I ever write again (I haven't in years), I might use it.
I pad $150 for each of our Kindles.
Truthfully, I would not have spent $199...I would have held out for something WITH all that extra hardware, but after having the Fire for a bit, I can definitely see how some would still think it a good value at $199. Rather than spending the $50 more they would have to spend on a comparable tablet with hardware they didn't want, they could put the $50 toward content. Or dinner. Or a credit card bill. Or another device.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #259
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Getting less but not paying less, what a great deal . You really got me there. How could I miss that?
Nope, you still haven't managed to move beyond it yet.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #260
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
If it is missing the card slot the price is irrelevant, it is a no-sale. For a device that is complete and is not missing features the price becomes relevant...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #261
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
If it is missing the card slot the price is irrelevant, it is a no-sale. For a device that is complete and is not missing features the price becomes relevant...
"Missing features??" Ridiculous. Where's the video projector? Where's the night vision? The coffee machine?

It's not 'missing' anything. It just might not have the features you want, so you can choose another device, if you're willing to pay the price.

The point being, some people will not 'miss' that feature even a little bit and would much rather have whatever else it has, be that a lower price, or a particular software feature, or a prettier case.

Last edited by ApK; 07-13-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #262
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
"Missing features??" Ridiculous. Where's the video projector? Where's the night vision? The coffee machine?

It's not 'missing' anything. It just might not have the features you want, so you can choose another device, if you're willing to pay the price.

The point being, some people will not 'miss' that feature even a little bit and would much rather have whatever else it has, be that a lower price, or a particular software feature, or a prettier case.
No, a built-in card reader must be part of the basic device. What you said is like saying that having a heater in your car is somehow optional. It isn't.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #263
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, a built-in card reader must be part of the basic device. What you said is like saying that having a heater in your car is somehow optional. It isn't.
This is your view.
It should however be clear to you that it is not the view of the majority of the tablet-buying public.
I suspect that the Nexus 7 will be a massive success.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #264
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
This is your view.
It should however be clear to you that it is not the view of the majority of the tablet-buying public.
I suspect that the Nexus 7 will be a massive success.
You are assuming that you represent the majority. I would venture a guess that the majority of Nexus 7 buyers would have liked the device even more if it included the expansion slot for the same price. Some have no idea what they are missing, and some buy it anyway. We will just have to agree to disagree, since the only way to find out would be to have both versions out.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #265
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
You are assuming that you represent the majority.
No, I'm going on the fact that the vast majority of tablets sold do not have SD slots, even though there are alternatives which do offer them.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #266
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It's an obvious point to make, but the tablet which dominates the market - the iPad - does not have a card slot.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #267
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's an obvious point to make, but the tablet which dominates the market - the iPad - does not have a card slot.
Nor does the number two tablet, the Fire. (pretty sure that position is still accurate....)

But this observation just seems to yield an "Everyone's lost but me!" response from some.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #268
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
When you're at home, then sure, I agree. It's when you go away that a storage card comes in handy. I know you can get portable drives with WiFi, but personally I find SD cards to be much more convenient. And it's not even as if I can plug in an external hard disk with the Nexus. At least with my Tab I can do that to load files from it.
Wow, you mean you can plug an external hard disk directly into the Galaxy Tab and move files from there onto the tablet? Since my Archos will not recognize any external hard disk I have had to load my SD cards using a PC, which I find quite easy to do. Like you I find using SD cards very convenient, not to mention they are so small and tough.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #269
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
not to mention they are so small and tough.
Be careful, MicroSD cards are really not tough at all. Seriously. You may have been lucky, but they are made to be inserted into a device and stay there, protected, as much as possible!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #270
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
Wow, you mean you can plug an external hard disk directly into the Galaxy Tab and move files from there onto the tablet?
Yes. Via a USB-OTG cable. One caveat - the drive needs to be externally powered.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote