Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-24-2007, 10:09 PM   #16
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
maybe i should dust off the old manuscripts
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:33 PM   #17
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
maybe i should dust off the old manuscripts
Hey, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
i've posted two threads on the forum and have received some replies, but not very specific ones. i've been trying for 3 days now to get this right and was seduced into the ease of the initial success to think it was going to be a piece of cake. also, out of firefox, ie and safari, safari is the only browser that will work. ie6 on win xp crashes spectaculary on every attempt.
I've been using Firefox on Win2K... no problems there. But your file uploading problems do sound similar to mine.

Quote:
i thought about adding a new item and trying the original again, but i can't find a way to delete items? can you publish the same item and delete the original?
Not that I've found... It may be a matter of contacting Amazon and asking them to remove the file... or maybe we can convince them to add a "delete" button.

Quote:
also, when i use mobipocket creator, it creates .prc files for me. how do you get it to create a .mobi file? just rename the .prc perhaps?
PRC is a legitimate Mobi format, and Amazon's server will accept them (both of my submissions were PRC files). Any failure messages you're getting aren't related to that.

Amazon's forum seems to suggest that the problem might be in cache or cookies building up after multiple edits, but I had the same problem after clearing my cache and cookies and restarting the browser. I think the problem is a glitch in their server... maybe caused by Borders Gremlins, I don't know.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:40 PM   #18
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
i followed my own earlier post here in saying that something broke loose right after i complained. i see your posts on the forum now. they've got me listed as 'accts6' instead of my name.

tks for the response,

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:44 PM   #19
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Next Milestone

I just checked my DTP account, and it now lists my 2 e-books as being "live"... however, the e-books are still listed as unavailable, no description, no price. For the record, Amazon reports at the moment that they have over 91,000 Kindle books in their catalog.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:53 PM   #20
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I just checked my DTP account, and it now lists my 2 e-books as being "live"... however, the e-books are still listed as unavailable, no description, no price. For the record, Amazon reports at the moment that they have over 91,000 Kindle books in their catalog.
i've seen status of 'live' and 'ready', but i don't quite know the distinction.

right now i'm in the 12+ hours publishing loop having just managed to edit my few pages and send them back to the mothership. i've done the publish button at least 4 times now because i was too ignorant to realize that you could download, preview and edit before re-publishing, although, in my defense, not all these features were working in all my browsers and i missed the download and preview buttons. and then i started getting all those conflicting error messages. in any case, each time it has been nearly exactly 12 hours for each publishing cycle.

i see where it says 'sign up to be notified' next to your item. i must have been one of the first to 'publish' on nov 20th or 21st and this time i've changed my publication date to today. i guess they take your word for it rather than the date they publish it.

/guy
Old 11-25-2007, 04:46 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntone View Post
Steve,

Haven't read any of your books, but I'd like to. Please let us know when you get them uploaded to Amazon.
Why not just get them from Steve's web site directly?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:59 AM   #22
gteague
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why not just get them from Steve's web site directly?
anyone who wants to read my humble submission should be able to figure out how to bypass the whopping 99-cent fee just from reading carefully on the amazon page. and i am just joking, please don't buy it, i'm still uploading a few changes which haven't published yet. [g]

i'm so tickled to actually have something i wrote on the largest online bookstore that i could care less if i sell a single copy. this may spur me on to greater production than my current 1-page-per-annum-in-a-good-decade effort:

http://www.amazon.com/Chloe-%2526-Th...984440&sr=8-16

/guy
Old 11-25-2007, 07:34 AM   #23
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Good point. I guess no one mentioned it in this thread, but you can upload any Mobipocket file into the Kindle, and my site has Mobi versions of each e-book. Due to Amazon's skimming the bulk of the profits off of any sales I make, I have set the price of my books on Amazon at $3.50, which is $1 higher than they are at my books site. (Consider that the "retail" price, while all MobileRead members can get 'em wholesale, direct from the publisher... me! .)

In fact, now that I've arranged to sell my e-books in bundles, you can save even more money on my e-books through my site. And be aware that if you buy your books from Amazon, you can only read them on your Kindle, whereas if you buy my e-books direct from my site, you can save them on your computer and upload them to your Kindle, your PDA or cellphone, another company's e-book reader, or anything else that will read Mobipocket files. To wit: Amazon is easy, but I give you more choices.

(Hey... I should write that down!)
Old 11-25-2007, 08:22 PM   #24
gteague
Zealot

i posted a comment in between here and got a message that a moderator would have to approve it. i've been too busy, i'm ashamed to say, to read the terms of use, but i had a link in there to my item on amazon and i wonder if that triggered them to not post it.

seems strange because i'm definitely not recommending anyone buy it, it was a pure 'proof of concept' experiment for me and anyone with the least bit of internet savvy can figure out how to read it for themselves for free from the product page. quite the opposite, i explicitly stated i was uploading changes at the time and it was not ready for download.

and it can't be because the forum bans posting commercial web sites since i see those urls in signatures (not picking on you, steve!).

wonder if a mod would comment on why my post was nixed? it was approx just after harryt's post early this morning.

/guy
Old 11-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #25
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

I don't know, unless it has to do with your post sounding vaguely like you're inviting people to somehow hack Amazon to beat the fee. This site does not support or allow instructions on hacking software (or web sites), since it's illegal.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:48 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Could be that because you are fairly new to this forum and you had a link in the post, that the post needed to be approved. So you would not see it till it is approved.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:00 PM   #27
gteague
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I don't know, unless it has to do with your post sounding vaguely like you're inviting people to somehow hack Amazon to beat the fee. This site does not support or allow instructions on hacking software (or web sites), since it's illegal.
i sure did not mean to imply anything of that sort. my 'publisher' is the name of my domain, that's all there is to that.

and the post was not important enough to quibble over. i'd just like to know why it was singled out.

[edit: i've found and read the faq. nothing about new users limits nor posting links nor commercial use that i could see]

/guy

Last edited by gteague; 11-25-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:15 PM   #28
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Apparently the spam filter is a bit more strict with the new users.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:20 PM   #29
gteague
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Apparently the spam filter is a bit more strict with the new users.
i'm sure it's something simple like that. by no means am i complaining or feeling picked on or singled out, i'm just a new user and trying to learn the modes and mores of this forum as i might be here awhile if i decide to keep the kindle. after nearly 5 days with it, it is still a hard decision as the interface and sluggishness and inadvertant button presses frustrate me mightily. whereas the attraction of carrying around 200-800 books attracts me just as mightily. and then there's the ability to publish myself for absolutely free--not even he cost of a website or bandwidth, just whatever cut amazon takes--although i do realize i could do that without a kindle as one of my friends (who actually owns a pub company) is doing right now. he sends me files which i convert and view on the device for him until he can get one of his own. it's way awkward, as you can imagine, but this is brand new to everyone right now so hopefully the users will cut the publishers some slack at any early problems. i hope.

/guy

Last edited by gteague; 11-25-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:53 PM   #30
gteague
Zealot

amazon categories for uploaded items

hey steve, got a question for you.

did you notice the categories to choose from don't match the categories displayed on the kindle book page?

i put my item in the following categories:

FICTION > Fairy Tales, Folklore & Mythology
FICTION > Fairy Tales, Folklore & Mythology
JUVENILE FICTION > Fairy Tales & Folklore > General2
JUVENILE FICTION > Legends, Myths, Fables > Other

but i am unable to locate it by category from the kindle books page, nor am i able to discover on the product page the 'category tree' the page is listed under. i did pose this as a question on the forum, we'll see if anyone answer this question.

/guy

Last edited by gteague; 11-25-2007 at 10:04 PM.