Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #31
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I love my paperwhite but the thing I tell people that are thinking of a paperwhite is this - what sort of environments do you read in? Do you like to curl up on the sofa below the floor lamp and read the kindle? Do you like to read in bed (something that we insomniacs should never do)? If you answered yes to either then the basic may be a better idea. I walk three city blocks to a bus stop where I wait in the predawn light for the bus, which is quite often 99% dark, there is usally one light on in the back, to a subway that I take to work. If I have any desire, which I always to do, I need that booklight. If I want to read any on the bus then I need that book light. So look at the environments in which you like to read - do you read in teh dark? If yes then the paperwhite is a good idea, and only if you said yes.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:16 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why do you think that the PW is bad for reading in bed? That's the situation in which I find the light to be most useful. Even in situations where you don't use the light, the higher screen resolution compared to the Basic Kindle still makes a significant improvement to the clarity of the text.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #33
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you think that the PW is bad for reading in bed? That's the situation in which I find the light to be most useful. Even in situations where you don't use the light, the higher screen resolution compared to the Basic Kindle still makes a significant improvement to the clarity of the text.
That's where I read my Paperwhite 95% of the time. Doesn't bother hubby at all unlike a book light.

Last edited by Blossom; 07-25-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Same here (minus the hubby ).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #35
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I'm going to just say that a lighted reader makes a big difference in comfort wherever lighting conditions aren't perfect, or when you're not in direct sunlight. It means no longer wanting to squint to read because the background is dark and the contrast isn't ideal. If you're in a reading chair with the perfect light setup, either turn off the light it set it to 1 on the PW. In any place where the light isn't diffuse and strong (and falling in such a way to avoid shadows on the screen), you have better contrast.

That was the first thing I noticed going from the Kindle Touch to the Kobo Glo, then the Aura HD. I also find it striking even in good light when comparing the above two or the PW to Sony's PRS-T2 or the basic Kindle. The higher res screens are bonuses for any content involving small text or graphics.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #36
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
My daughter decided on the refurb PW and it came on Saturday. Thus far, we love the screen but hate the touchscreen function. It is very erratic and makes me wonder if this may have been the reason it was returned. If so, why would Amazon send it back out as a refurb? If the keyboard is this wonky, I can't imagine anyone would want it.

Initially, we couldn't get the keyboard to respond. Then it seemed to work in bursts, sometimes responding to touch inputs and other times not. Surely this is not the normal function?

Time for a call to Kindle support, methinks. Sigh.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #37
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
No, that's not normal. If anything, it should be a bit TOO sensitive to input... but not intermittent.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #38
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysnapper22 View Post

1) With the screen lighting turned OFF is there any difference in the clarity or general readability of the Kindles we currently have and the PW?

2) One of the reasons I like our current basic Kindle's is that it does have the page turn buttons . I have a thing about dirty screens and the buttons avoid the need to touch the screen at all thereby reducing the need to clean the screen. So how quickly does the screen get dirty from page turn touches and general use? Do you find this a problem?

3) One last query, based on past product release frequency any thoughts on the probability of a Paperwhite II hitting the market any time soon?

All comment & opinion welcome.
1. The light does not turn off. At the minimum setting there are two factors here, the screen is slightly blurred, but also the resolution is better than the other kindles. The second factor wins over the first at smaller fonts, it's a draw at larger fonts.

2. Screen does get dirty with oil from your fingers or thumbs, but as it is a matte finish you can't easily see it. Still this is avoided by use of a stylus.

3. I don't think so, I think that Amazon is going to take a break from releasing kindles due to reaching a plateau until they have engineered a color reader. I'm speculating.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote