Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Digital vocabulary

Every language has idioms that are used for emphasis. "Woaw you've got tons of books", or "I found a ton of photos in the attic". In reality there may have been a 100 or 200 kg of books, not a 1,000. For photos, maybe 10 kg or so.

These expressions are obviously completely out of place in relation to those same items in their digital manifestation. You wouldn't say "I have a ton of photos in MyPicture folder". You might on the other hand say "I have 5 GB worth of photos in MyPicture folder", but that is likely to be more of a correct statement and it doesn't really describe that there are lots and lots of photos. You can have a few 100 very high resolution photos in RAW format , or you can have tens of thousand in JPEG.

If I were to say that I have a ton of photos in my computer, most of you would realize that I'm using that expression as an idiom to exaggerate the fact that i have lots and lots of photos. Generations growing up now probably won't, having only seen photos on iPads and Smartphones, that reference simply doesn't make sense when they have never seen boxes of old photos.

How do you think these idioms will evolve, and what are some other kind of idioms that will need to adapt to our digital reality?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Gazillion seems to work for both digital and non-digital.

Or maybe for digital we should just move straight to Copyright Math.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I would think that tons would mean thousands. So you have thousands photos or what ever on computer...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
BWinmill
Nameless Being

If you bought a ton of modern hard drives, you would be able to store about 3 trillion ebooks (assuming an average file size of 1 MB per book). Large library systems seem to have tens of millions of books, so a ton of digital books is mindboggling.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I think you will enjoy this. "Old people icons" heh heh.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheFlo...seAnymore.aspx

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
My son referred to his friend as a "Walking 404" I'll let the readers interpret that as they see fit. I thought is was clever ... and only a bit mean.

"I've got a bit-torrent of books," might someday be heard.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
If I were to say that I have a ton of photos in my computer, most of you would realize that I'm using that expression as an idiom to exaggerate the fact that i have lots and lots of photos. Generations growing up now probably won't, having only seen photos on iPads and Smartphones, that reference simply doesn't make sense when they have never seen boxes of old photos.
Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post

eP
Yes, just like we "old" people refer to smart-ass kids as JGs
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:

eP
That's great!!! I remember thinking that the "save" icon made no sense when I started using word processors under windows (MS Word 2.0), as most of the time I saved to hard disk.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Too late. It got taken away a few years ago. Processors have shut down too.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
When I think back on all the crap I learned in High School
It's a wonder I can think at all.

Give us all those nice bright colors
You give us the greens of summer

Dang, I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday but i can remember parts of the lyric i hummed some 30 (40?) years ago.

Nasty monkey for reminding me!
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Every language has idioms that are used for emphasis. "Woaw you've got tons of books", or "I found a ton of photos in the attic". In reality there may have been a 100 or 200 kg of books, not a 1,000. For photos, maybe 10 kg or so. ...
You seem to be confusing the original, root, meaning of "ton", which this idiom uses, with the much newer second meaning.

A "ton" is, or was, a common cask of wine and was used in reference to shipping as a measure of quantity or volume, not weight. It was much later that the term was borrowed to refer to weight (eg. ton=2000# or metric ton=1000kg). When you say you have "tons of stuff" you are figuratively about the quantity and not weight, unless weight has been specifically referred to in a prior statement. Hence, the idiom needs no adaptation to apply to a digital collection.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
we still talk about "dialing" the phone, although phones haven't had dials for years. I suspect that "ton" meaning a lot of stuff (as applied to digital) will have the same longevity.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Dang, I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday but i can remember parts of the lyric i hummed some 30 (40?) years ago.
May 1973 - a #2 smash hit for Paul Simon; and the only one of his solo outings I like.

Alas; Kodachrome, the film, is no more (1935~2009). Film photography? What's that?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:

eP
Haha. Some of those are cool. Very cool indeed.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote