Notices

Old 10-02-2014, 04:30 AM   #46
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedaddy View Post
The H2O is very interesting. But, is it true that the settings for the page refresh only allow every 6 pages at the most? So... is it a Carta dispay without the REGAL technique? (My Tolino Vision, wich also uses Carta, has every 60 (!) pages as default).
I don't have a Kobo yet, but I believe there is a setting to change the page refresh rate. I, personally, want to set it to *every*.
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:04 AM   #47
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
for anyone who has received his Kobo aura h2o yet.

Is this screen so white, sharp and contrasted as shown in the videos?

Thanks!
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2014, 05:21 AM   #48
Wolfsbruder
Connoisseur
Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma, Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedaddy View Post
The H2O is very interesting. But, is it true that the settings for the page refresh only allow every 6 pages at the most? So... is it a Carta dispay without the REGAL technique? (My Tolino Vision, wich also uses Carta, has every 60 (!) pages as default).
I thought regal waveform was built in to the Carta display.
Wolfsbruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The H20 is currently using ver. 3.7.0 of the software, a version designed for a variety of devices that do not use the Carta screen. We have seen that Kobo can have some differences among devices running the same version number. It remains to be seen if the refresh is different for the H20.
No, I think 3.7.0 was only released for the H2O. Kobo released it just after the announcement and it was ready for the review devices. But, 3.9.0 should be good. So long as they fix one thing
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:56 AM   #50
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Are there any notable changes in Firmware 3.9.0? I am ready to return Kobo tomorrow as I cannot stand wasted space (page numbers) and lack of proper annotation export.
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #51
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolson View Post
Are there any notable changes in Firmware 3.9.0? I am ready to return Kobo tomorrow as I cannot stand wasted space (page numbers) and lack of proper annotation export.
Go to "Reading settings" and uncheck the "Show header and footer", problem solved
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It's not just Kobo that has page numbers at the bottom of the screen. All Readers I have seen do this and it's not specific to Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #53
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandafc View Post
Go to "Reading settings" and uncheck the "Show header and footer", problem solved
Has 3.9.0 fixed the full page bug(s) present in 3.8.0.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry, can't tell. I am on the beta firmware list and get to test it. I usually don't talk about the changes we see in case they don't get released. Plus Kobo do not pre-announce releases so we have no idea when they will actually be out. Of course, I occasionally like to tease people here with a hint. So, there are a some very interesting changes in the next version.

As to the page numbers, as JSWolf says, all ereaders seem to have something. But, Kobo seem to have taken more space than they really need. vandafc mentions options to turn them off, but that needs an update to the config file to work. Edit the file ".kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf" and add the following to it:

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
FullScreenReading=true
It's possible the "FeatureSettings" section is already there. If it is, just add the other line after it. When you do this, make sure you use a Unix line end aware editor. So, if you are a Windows user, don't use Notepad. I recommend NotePad++ for this an all text editing.

Once this is done, the option that vandafc mentioned will be on the Reading settings page of the settings. But, this is not support function. It is in the firmware, but not officially supported. There are some problems with some kepubs and some fonts.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #55
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Personally, I think the headers and footers would be fine if Kobo did just reduce the amount of space it takes up. One or two extra lines of space could be easily freed up for reading on that lovely real estate.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #56
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
So, there are a some very interesting changes in the next version.
Do you know if this will be released for the Glo, Aura, and Aura HD, or is it just for the H2O?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #57
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Do you know if this will be released for the Glo, Aura, and Aura HD, or is it just for the H2O?
I'm reasonably sure it will be all of them. I don't know about the Touch and Mini.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #58
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I read a little, handled the h20 a lot. The fingerprint issue seems to have resolved itself already.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #59
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
So, there are a some very interesting changes in the next version.
You're such a tease, David Now I want to know what they are!
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #60
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Has anyone taken their H2O for a swim yet? Ironically enough, I'm a little apprehensive to do so even though I can easily return it. Speaking of that, will that snug little plug keep water out after a year or two of being opened and closed? Hope so.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
h2o